Road tax evasion since scrapping the tax disc

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Apparently the revenue lost in road tax revenue since scrapping the windscreen displayed tax disc is topping £100,000,000 a year.

Why do you think people are not paying tax for their cars since the new system was introduced?

Is it forgetfulness and not having a reminder on the car? Are people chancing it because their neighbors will not notice?

Surely the automatic fines that get sent out will bring in more than the lost revenue? Is the headline just telling half the story?

I think it's 50/50 people forgetting and people chancing it. I heard something on the radio that said many of these drivers renew it after 2 months, so they are probably just chancing it.

Are the fines automatic if you don't declare SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification).

a big loophole was closed , supposedly to stop uninsured drivers but I have my doubts , more likely it was just abut money.-
Now if a car isnt sorned it has to be taxed .Fines are automatic although they can be challenged.
More importantly when you sell a car you are responsible for providing the details of the new keeper and if you dont you have to carry on paying the road tax.
Also the refunds for tax have changed.
It isnt well known but if you tax a car for 6 months now you get a "penalty" if you cash it back in . Thats on top of the governments scam where both the seller and buyer pay for the month the car is sold in.

So the overall tax take may be down but they'll recoup this and more in fines and penalties.

The whole start of the month this is nonsense in this modern digital world. I can't think of anything else where you have to pay for the month you are in. This is a throw back to the printed tax discs which had to bear a month of validity, the new system could be much more flexible but surprisingly it's just as complex and unwieldy!

The fairest way of course is that as the car is taxed all the time it is on the road . As tax is paid in advance it is always taxed to the end of the month we are in .
So if it is sold on the 11th that months tax has already been paid so all it really needs is for the new owner to tax it from the following month.that would be so easy to administer
But the new way is more revenue so thats why it isnt done fairly.
It is infact a 10% increase in revenue at a stroke ( one month is 8%ish and if the car was taxed for 6 months the penalty ( or the lack of refund ) easily brings it up to 10 %
who said the motorist gets a fair deal ......and thats without petrol duty

Road tax should be taken as fuel tax IMO. Those that use more pay more! That will mean that every driver on our roads buying fuel in the UK will be contributing.

Can't see the double tax being done away with though!