Rip off Britain???

glabus

Torque Junkie
Car
fiesta zetec s1600
This isn't really a NEW thread but an update on my last;)
For those who didn't read that:
I took my 7 month old Fiesta S1600 in to local Ford dealers as I thought one tyre was showing excess wear:amazed:
On the ramp I was told that I needed 2 new alloys:blink::amazed:
(they are painted white and cost £170 each [with paint??]) Plus fitting/replacing tyres [which were OK!!] Total near £400:confused::confused:
I got my mobile mechanic to take a look, at my wifes' firm in Castleford area and he comes from Dewsbury!!
He was able to heat rims and knock out the very small damages for us.
Cost?: £20:amazed::amazed::amazed:
Are we being ripped off my big companies?
Is it H&S in extremis:blink:
Are we, as customers; expected to pay through the nose because companies are scared of being sued and therefore want to replace rather than repair:confused:
OR....... are we being ripped off
Do you guys, buying' specials' for your moddings; feel that prices are too much for what it is?

What you have here is dealing with people who follow the rule book and how they were taught, not those who have learnt a true profession and use ingenuity to solve a problem. (this is not a pop at mechanics but the main dealers as I have come across my fair share of worthless so called vehicle technicians) No-one has taught them how to affect a repair, only replace until the problem goes away and only use the parts bin. Always best to get a second or even third opinion on something, don't always assume a main dealer knows it all. The main dealers are there for the everyday motorist who knows nothing about what they drive and will pay for anything they say is wrong. The same sort of person that goes to their local motor factors as directed by a 'friend' asking for a packet of 'sky hooks'.

As for 'specials', depends on what you have and where you go for them, it's a case of not what you know, it's who you know :blink1:

Damn right Stamford.
I would not approach Dealer/s only because at 7 months I just MIGHT be within a Warranty claim
There is a point for what you know (being ripped off:p)but who you know is a definite:bigsmile:
What you have here is dealing with people who follow the rule book and how they were taught, not those who have learnt a true profession and use ingenuity to solve a problem. (this is not a pop at mechanics but the main dealers as I have come across my fair share of worthless so called vehicle technicians) No-one has taught them how to affect a repair, only replace until the problem goes away and only use the parts bin. Always best to get a second or even third opinion on something, don't always assume a main dealer knows it all. The main dealers are there for the everyday motorist who knows nothing about what they drive and will pay for anything they say is wrong. The same sort of person that goes to their local motor factors as directed by a 'friend' asking for a packet of 'sky hooks'.

As for 'specials', depends on what you have and where you go for them, it's a case of not what you know, it's who you know :blink1:

we are the most taxed country in europe, course we are being ripped off.

big companies know this and will always continue to do this.

@ prince - its bloody expensive lol

A lot of big companies have the replace it rather than mess around repairing it mentality. How many wheel hubs get replaced when all the old ones needed was lubrication.

It's no wonder that the planets resources are getting depleted when we are throwing out so many perfectly servicable items.

A lot of big companies have the replace it rather than mess around repairing it mentality. How many wheel hubs get replaced when all the old ones needed was lubrication.

It's no wonder that the planets resources are getting depleted when we are throwing out so many perfectly servicable items.

and this is not just car items either imo.

think the reason why dealer dont repair anything is cos they have to Warranty everything so the best way is to put everything new

thats why when you go to landrover for a head gasket on a freelander they will say new engine or at least new head with out looking at it

where we would just do the gasket and maybe skim the head if needed

but then other things can go the other way sometimes dealers are cheaper on parts say like service parts then the local factors