Right gear, dear?

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
How do you use the gears in your car?

Do you rush to the highest possible gear for your chosen speed as soon as possible?

Do you linger in the lower gears for better acceleration?

Are you constantly up and down the 'box in regular driving?

I generally don't change up unless it allows me to continue building road speed.

I'll hang on to 3rd until 35-40mph and I don't bother with 5th until 60-65mph.

Separating brake/change/steer inputs is a very good system which allows you much more control of the car.

Whether you want to roll up to a roundabout in 2nd (at a ridiculously needlessly low speed) planning to stop, or, planning to hammer through it at 60+ mph in 3rd I think that control input separation is worthy.

But you can only have the opportunity to seize the go (and go quickly) opportunity if you're already in the right gear.

I do not understand people that make it a goal to get into the highest gear possible all the time.

Acceleration!

1st gear til 30
2nd gear til 50
3rd gear til 80
5th gear to cruise :cool:

I know all of this. I am no stranger to engine that like revs. My post is not about maximum possible speeds in a gear but more about how you choose and select gears on the fly whilst driving your car.

There are cars that will happily cover 110mph in third and I've driven a few and a few more.

My question was about right gear selection.

I usually stick to the lower gears cause it means I don't have to worry about changing down if I have to stop suddenly, otherwise I forget and stall :)My instructure tells me to keep it between 1-2k revs but you don't feel anything until 2.5k (it's a 1.4 diesel Yaris I think).
But this is what I do conciously:
1st up to 12mph
2nd up to 20mph
3rd up to 30mph

You really don't get much out of the engine at the revs he's limited me to (not that I have anything to compare it to) at least it means I get decent gear changing practice.

I know all of this. I am no stranger to engine that like revs. My post is not about maximum possible speeds in a gear but more about how you choose and select gears on the fly whilst driving your car.

There are cars that will happily cover 110mph in third and I've driven a few and a few more.

My question was about right gear selection.

Haha, my car definitely doesn't like revs, its the only way to get the 1.1 moving! (I probably shouldn't have chosen the massive 5 door version weighing a ton)

Hmm...I guess I prefer moving around the gears alot, I like the low gears for acceleration but once I hit the speed limit I chuck it into a higher gear (I don't like the sound of constant high revving). If I slow down for whatever reason I'll change back down.

You do have a point about the separation of the inputs, but to me that takes the fun out of driving. If I were going round a racetrack, etc, at high speeds I would definitely adopt your system, but for me, going around normally changing gears whilst steering and breaking is fun, keeps me busy :amuse:

As for the highest gear possible, I do that towards the end a term (I'm a student) and money is running low. It makes me think that I'm somehow getting that little bit extra milage out of the car, especially with fuel prices the way they are :mad:

I'll change as late as practical. If I'm cruising at 30 then I'll be in 3rd. If I'm accelerating to say 50 then I'll leave it in 2nd until I reach 50.

Also, I consider if I'll be using the gear for more than about 1 min - if not, I won't change. Waste of clutch life.

tend to linger in gears and then only change once normally at about 4k. tend to go up and down the box frequently though, this is more due to living in the countryside and have the "hardship" of country road driving most of the time.

I find I spend a lot of round town driving in 3rd gear, 4th seems too low gearing for hilly flow and ebb driving. I probably err more on the side of eco driving and change up at 2500 to 3000 rpm.

My wife will tell you that I spend a lot of my time in the wrong gear though!

I'm still getting used to my clutch. First gear is very short. I am not able to slip my clutch, changing gear is like pushing a button for me, on, then off, or ill just melt my clutch. The person who I got my car off, set the gearing for low down speed. Beleve it or not, she will sit comfortable at 40 in 5th. 4th, is what I use for pondering around town. If she drops to 25 then there is still a little give in 4th. 3rd is two noisy for going round town.

Depends on What Mood I'm in.

In a Rush I'll high Rev all the way to where I'm trying to get to

But just Chillin, cruising speeds I'll be in 5th Gear at about 35mph - 40mph