Reversing.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
So do you use the mirrors or turn around and look out the rear window?

I use the mirrors all the time and have done since passing my test some 10 years ago.

So how about you?

I've become more and more mirrors for reversing, not necessarily a bad thing but if there's pedestrians wandering about I do crank my head about to be sure.

It also depends on mirror coverage - the BMW's coverage is excellent but going back to my Primera (97-04 I owned it) there were significant blindspots to consider. . . . .

Considering the huge cost of my rear end :blink::blink::blink::embarrest:
I need to protect all of that carbon fiber, so I have a rear view colour camera mounted by the number plate which goes back to a special rear view mirror monitor; uber cool ;)

My side mirrors are really awful! Too far up and you cannot see the kerb, too far down and you cannot see anything. I have to decide between my wheels or peoples lives....

Depending on where you drive that could be a tough call to make :blink:

Sorry... Was clearly a poor joke. I meant was that I love my car.... and people..... Not so much :lol:

With my mirrors I struggle any where. I normally use other cars to help draw a perfect guideline and how straight my car is once in a bay or space.

How do you get on with the camera with distances etc?

Considering the huge cost of my rear end :blink::blink::blink::embarrest:
I need to protect all of that carbon fiber, so I have a rear view colour camera mounted by the number plate which goes back to a special rear view mirror monitor; uber cool ;)

How do you get on with the camera with distances etc?

Very well actually,the camera is a Kenwood and is angled to see the edge of the bumper so you can go as near or as far to an object as you would like. The rear view monitor is a dual screen that shares its housing with the rear view mirror, so you can check the low down camera view on the monitor and the overall view in the mirror without moving your head.

You can just see the camera just above the number plate in between the R & 0.
CAR20.jpg

This is the monitor/ rear view mirror combo.
photo11.jpg

Can you record from it aswell?

Yes you can as it has a dual take off video composite output to feed both the monitor and a recording medium should you so desire.

Last edited:
both window and mirrors, getting in and reversing out an alley that at its narrowest is only a few inches wider than the car means it gets close to the mirrors but also at an angle so cant go exactly straight out.

how do you find the camera T9 ? i can fit a camera to the columbus unit but at £200ish by the time ive fitted camera and adaptor would i use it that often

how do you find the camera T9 ? i can fit a camera to the columbus unit but at £200ish by the time ive fitted camera and adaptor would i use it that often

Cannot remember individual prices but the whole package was £750 all in including fitting. I have the best of both worlds, it comes on automatically and practically instantly when you select reverse and you can use the override feature if you want to use the camera while driving forwards. Camera quality is surprisingly good PG and night vision works well with the addition of the illuminated reversing lights.

I have the reverse sensors too TN and they are very good. So good infact that was the primary reason that I bought the reversing camera set up :blink:

Her indoors one day just happened to mention that she forgot what the constant beeping sound meant, am I too close to the wall or can I go back a little further? :confused:

This was a potential recipe for disaster and an accident waiting to happen, so I had the camera fitted to save both my car rear end and secondly to save her neck from being caressed with my big hands! :lol:

I use my mirrors unless i'm reversing out of a car park space because I can see around the corners through the rear side windows. Most people are impatient and race down car parks without any consideration for people trying to get out.

Most people are impatient and race down car parks without any consideration for people trying to get out.

Or you get the lazy clowns (Term severely cleaned up for posting on a family forum) in an NCP multi storey car park who can't be asked to drive to the end of the floor to go down to the next level; so instead these one brain celled creatures of stupidity, try to drive down the UP ramp (Clearly marked NO ENTRY) to save themselves a round trip of 90 metres :mad:

I had this happen to me while leaving once as I arrived at the bottom of the UP ramp just when this clown was trying to drive down it. I forced him to reverse all the way back up the ramp while I kept moving forward; let the dirty lazy scumbag have a T9 vicious verbal onslaught that shamed him to everyone listening in the car park including his female passenger. :mad:

I seem to rely too heavily on my parking sensors. I was in another car yesterday without them and only remembered at the last minute, very nearly hitting a wall behind me! That was too close.

Good point. I used to do that when I hadn't been in one of my old cars for a while and had got over used to the sensors on the Golf. Skyline came close several times as there was a lot of car there behind you and easily forget that big back end got to objects sooner than the Golf:oops: