Reversing Aids???

ChrisGMOC

Tuner
Car
Granada Ghia X 2.8
Has anyone tried any of the many reversing aids on the market???

On a ' bad day ', I struggle turning left to look out of rear window, when reversing & have to rely on just mirrors, which obviously don't give a true image, especially distance ;). So I have been considering some kind of ' Aid '.
Granted, more often than not , I don't drive on ' Bad days ', but sometimes
don't have a choice!

Chris.. :blink1:

A camera is better than the silly beeping ones which go down to about 1 foot. You need more precision that a foot if you ask me.

Got a good leccy friend to fit a 'steelmate' front and rear parking system to the hilux.
Seemed a little temperamental at first, but soon settled down, its very accurate and reliable.

Comes with tell tale led's for both directions, so the fronts are a very discreet mount on the dash, which work when the footbrake is depressed, so minimal false alarms except when they get mucky and wet occasionally.
Ditto the rears, my mate fitted the led's behind the interior light in the roof lining, so visible in the mirror.
They tell you which side you are getting close to also, as well as how close by light as well as beep.

Wouldn't be without them on the truck.
But good ones do not come cheap, and the secret to good fitment is the accuracy of positioning of the sensors, plus getting them the right way up.

Thanks all, :)
I was considering the ' Camera ' option!
Checked the ' Steemate ' site, quite like the PTS800V3 ;)

I know there are a lot of cheap ones on the market, but I am a firm believer in ' you get what you pay for '. I am prepared to pay expensive as like I say on a bad day its important to me that I can still reverse safely!

P.S. would they be classed as a mod & need to inform Insurance??

Hi Chris

I've got the 800MN, dont really worry too much about anyone hitting the back of the truck, but that looks an interesting gadget.

The fitting of these took a long time, my mate spent ages getting the sensors precise, but its paid off.

Wouldn't believe quite how many wires were involved too, far too complicated for the likes of me.

Insurance wise, i would have thought a cursory call maybe, if they kick up a change of provider is called for.
I'm with the NFU for all my insurances now, local office with local people, told them about my larger winter tyres and different wheels on the truck, just made a note in my file, nothings ever a drama or excuse to charge you more.

Judd.

It's worth telling insurers everything - they might deem that it makes the car more likely to be broken into or something like that. Wire it into the ICE and say you have an ICE install with rear camera for reversing and they are more likely to accept this as "normal" then.

God knows why but when I first read this title, I thought you were looking for a cure for HIV...

"Your on the wrong website mate"

lol

:bigsmile: :eek: :cool: I never realised it could have been took that way :shock: Excellent sense of humour though, was giggling for a while after reading last few messages!

Lately I have mostly been fitting...

Wireless reversing camera's. They are very easy to fit, just 2 wires and 2 screws. They have a little satnav sized screen which you just plonk on the dash or screen and your done! Much easier to fit than sensors and more of a -cool- factor! Although its sensors that are fitted to my car, as there is nowhere that looks good for the camera on it.