Rev up your engine?

horsepwraddict

Car
U don't want 2 know
Hey guys!
So I was thinking....Does free reving, of gooseing the gas or whatever you call it.
Is it bad for a car? I mean stuff like high rpm before warm up is stupid and redlining the car in neutral is even dumber! But is reving a engine that has been warmed up and is in good condition ok? For instance, if the redline is 6500 is free reving to 4 grand a big deal?
Thanks!

Nothing wrong with giving an engine a good old rev. Better still redlining every once in a while doesn't hurt either. (I didn't tell you that)

;)

One problem with revving in neutral is the revs will increase a lot faster, possibly faster than the valve springs can respond to, resulting in valve bounce. Also the stresses on crank bearings will be different.

3-4000rpm isn't a problem but, personally, I wouldn't rev an engine much past that in neutral.

Careful in neutral as said above. But once warmed properly then using the full rev range up to the red line is absolutely fine. The start of the red line denotes the end of the engine's useful power band and rev limiter (whose task it is to prevent over-revving damage) will be set higher than this. Using the full rev range will not cause any damage whatsoever. In fact it's better to do this than granny it at low revs.

wow thanks for the reply's!
Cool so revs are not bad for a warm engine! So as a car ages, the valve springs are going to degrade? and so the redline should be respected more? Like the car I drive had 181,000 mi (291,000 km) and the stock redline is 6250 so keeping it around 5500-5750? Or is the redline ok for the life of the car?
Thanks again!