Restrictions for new drivers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that new drivers should have power restrictions on what car they can drive?

Would it be better if you have a special licence in order to drive a 500bhp or more car? Or would you assume that a 500bhp car owner already has a degree of driving experience.

Yeh, a seprate lisence sounds a pretty ok idea. This would mean you would at least get some experience in driving a beast like that which would make insurers happier

just because you lot can drive big engines cars, makes it easy for you to say yeah to having a seperate license lol :). i agree with what your saying, but i suppose they encourage new drivers to get a small car anyway, as the insurance kicks you in the b*ll*cks to start with, my first car was worth 400 quid but my insurance was 1000 pound being a named driver lol

is going to be a yes and no from e
they do it on a bike test limt you so so much power et unless you take the full test

but does not matter how big or small the car if you cant drive you cant drive having a 1.0 corsa is not going to help
just cos the new drivers have passed there test they only needed to be ok for a hour

agree with lutonmatt on this, its not necessarily the power, its the driver. perhaps the limit should be 100bhp for the first year though?

I agree with this as I see far too many kids where parents have more money than sense buying them Type R civics and renaultsport clio's etc. I only agree cos my parents wont buy / insure one for me :(

agree with lutonmatt on this, its not necessarily the power, its the driver. perhaps the limit should be 100bhp for the first year though?

the nissan micra is only a 1.0 16v with only 54bhp but its like a little pocket rocket uder the wrong hands it still bends i have lost a few mates who have just passed there test due to lack of experiance i think all new drivers should at least have some form of adanced driving test

If we're thinking drivers who have just "passed the test" need to pass an "advanced test" or be restricted to lawn-mower engines for a while... maybe the test is wrong!! When you pass the driving test... you should be 'able to drive' imho.

The problem with any driving law is the person behind the wheel. You can't change their mind with any test. If they want to act like loonies then they will regardless of what car they have.