Respraying a car in Silk paint

Met one of your guys today at BHP performance show, although I've forgotten your name, sorry. A bit about me I'm 21 and from London and drive a Satin Black Renault Megane, any questions feel free to ask

Start of witha practice spray - a wing is good.

Build up the paint in layers.

I used about 15 spray tins of paint in the end I belive

When it comes to removing the bumper it would depend on the car, I discovered that after removing all of mine, I didnt need to but for some cars, you would need to, I removed the bumpers, the bonnet and the front two wings, and then masked up everything else, when I done the car

I didn't need to do any paint prep as the paintwork was only 3 years old, so I knew it was in perfect condition I just made sure it was clean.

I sanded back all the clear coat using 400 grit wet and dry, so it was just paint and all smooth, I then used white spirit to wash off the dust off the car, I choose white spirit as it dries off very quickly and will remove any grease as well, which can cause problems

In total, there was probably 7 thin coats, which would equat to two coats of normal car paint roughly, I built up the thin coats, as it gives a much better finish and there is less chance of getting orange peel and it going patchy

Note the use of newpaper and cling film to mask off the car.

Feel free to ask any questions. I wanted to create a non shiny finish and went with silk paint which actually worked quite well. Feel free to ask any questions about spraying. Waynne is going to make this a more detailed article on the main site so if I think of anything else just ask....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures James, I will try and get a few more up. Do add or edit the previous post.

Did you sand over the car before spraying it?

Last edited:
Just a little aside - I learn't the hard way. DO NOT CALL THIS MATTE PAINT OR JAMES WILL GET YOU. SERIOUSLY IT IS SILK PAINT NOT MATTE PAINT! Can't people tell the difference! ;) Please don't upset James by referring to this as a matt finish!

Just a little aside - I learn't the hard way. DO NOT CALL THIS MATTE PAINT OR JAMES WILL GET YOU. SERIOUSLY IT IS SILK PAINT NOT MATTE PAINT! Can't people tell the difference! ;) Please don't upset James by referring to this as a matt finish!

haha cheers buddy :D

and yeah the car was sanded back to base paint so no clearcoat left, luckily its french paint, so was soft as anything so this didnt take too long :D

The main piece of advise I can give on this, is take your time! I spent nearly 3 days sanding, making sure I got every last little bit, also a little trick make sure that you have sanded everything nice and flat is to put on a very thin coat of a different colour paint and then sand this away, this way you know everything is level. Also where a face mask, it can be quite scary what your breathing in when your spraying, I was only using rattle cans and I belive that using a compressor puts more into the air but am not 100% sure on that. I was using white face masks and they were black after just spraying for a little bit. Also as stated thin coats are always better then one thick coat, as thick coats can lead to orange peeling, which can be quite awkward to remove. Also lighting, make sure where you are doing the work is very well lit! Also ensure that its not too cold, as belive it or not the paint can go funny if it gets too cold, and don't work yourself too much, this is tiring work and mistakes can be made when your tired! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

looks nice, and i think using a spray gun is worse, we use it at work for fabrications and you go in after and theres a really thick haze, what you mods you had done to your magane, i really like the new meganes

so far the 225 front bumper, window tints, 18" white alloys, 45mm lowered on spax springs, got some sideskirts sitting at home I need to fit and front splitter off a leon cupra as well that needs to be fitted, will be ordering some OMP seats at the end of the month and starting on my next ice install, everything on the car has been done by myself and with the help of friends, well the lowering my friend done for me, I just helped him and a friend who tints windows, done my window tinting, I've never seen the point in paying somebody loads of money to do something that you could lean to do yourself :D

Cheers :bigsmile:

What a perfect finish, great job James.

It would be great that i can do this by myself and James,can you please provide some guides on painting? ;)

For my ride, im starting to see tiny holes of rust appearing on the rooftop.In the near future,i will paint over the car body.

hi, looks realy good m8, i have a friend that is doing up an old merc 190d and he wants a finish like yours, just wondering about the avaialability of the paint and its ability to resist scratches and fading?

Ok quite a feq questions here, so will go down in order:

massive, its the 1.9dci 120bhp engine and nope no tuning yet, but am having a new FMIC made, a straight through exhuast made and then a remap, which should put it to about 160bhp and 360nm of torque :D

nseries, give it a bit and there will be a guide, but make sure you remove the rust before painting on top or the rust will just bubble underneath and show through the paint!

bicko, the paint is readily avaliable, I used halfords paint at about 5.50 for 550ml, the paint has only been on for a few months but have noticed no fading, also there are no scatchs yet that im aware of but every car is prone to scratchs :( however with this job, you can just touch up each scratch yourself fairly quickly...

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back