Respray

Beet8

Car
Vw Beetle
Hi.
Im thinking of respraying my car soon and i would like to know what type of paint is used, and the difference between them eg cellulose,2pack,basecoat. why some are used and some are not.
Your help would be appreciated
Cheers

To do a proper job (assuming you are in the UK) you will need a filtered spray booth - you might be able to hire one for this purpose. It is hard to get a good finish from tins. Car paints need to be fairly tough and this is achieved with lots of thin coats. Most car painters I use stick with a basecoat and then apply a clear coat to seal it in.

Is it your beetle you are painting? What colour are you going for? What colour is it at the moment?

yes it is mate. going for an elm green. at the moment its a light mettalic blue or marathon blue. will this matter?
cheers

yes it is mate. going for an elm green. at the moment its a light mettalic blue or marathon blue. will this matter?
cheers

it depends on what paint you use

i use base over clear which is a base coat paint then you put a laquer over it to get the shine

but your best bet is to use 2k paint just make sure your repairs are good or you will see them. any repairs you do feather the edges out this is so it looks like it is faded round the edges wit no high spots
after you have done all the repairs go all over the car with something like 400 wet & dry paper make sure you use plenty of water and then dry the car off.
then you will need to take all the shine off the car so the paint can key
to do this i use a scotch pad. then go all over the car with a tac cloth to get rid of any dust.then blow out any thing like bonnet and wings meet as dust can get any where make sure you do all the rubbers around the windows.
then clean the car with a panel wipe mask up all ithe windows and lights unless you take them out
undercoat the repairs you have done and let it dry this will show up any sinkage you have .if all is good under coat all the car after it has dried get it a light sand with 400 paper the key again then you can put on the top coat if you are using 2k then it is not that hard to do a monkey can do it lol

mix 500 ml of paint in a clean container add 250 ml of 2k hardner and a small splash of tinners

turn your compresser down to 40psi and give the car a light coat to cover
leave for about 15 mins till it goes taccy touch the tape not the car after it has gone taccy give it another coat
2 to 3 coats should be good to give it a good shine

Thanks for that bud. when you say 2k are you reffering to 2pack? and so am i giving the car a 400grit sand evry time i add a coat? or just when i apply some basecoat then before i laquer after the top coat has been applied?
cheers

if you use 2k you wont need any laquer and only sand the primer and do the repairs first then when that is dry primer all the car and just a light flat with 400 before you spray the paint on

Last edited:
ok cheers kemo. so 2k is also known as 2-pack ye? does any1 know were i can purchase sme paint? which is fairly cheap

To paint properly you need to practise or preferably, be taught. Please be aware that 2K paint contains isocyanate in the hardener, this is extremely toxic. This is why professional spray boothes have air fed mask systems for the paint sprayers.
If you are contemplating using 2K paint in your garage, the best advice i can give you is, don't.
I'm far from a leftie or politically correct type of chap but there are some rules and regulations that are genuinely realistic. 2K paint can not be used in any environment other than one equipped for such work. It should be mixed in a proper mixing room and sprayed in a proper, filtered booth with correct P.P.E. for the paint sprayer.
Have a read of some data on isocyanates; http://www.safetydirectory.com/hazardous_substances/isocyanates.htm

I don't want to deter you from painting your own car, just enlighten you on some of the realities and potential hazards involved with this type of paint.