Reservations about mods

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you have any reservations or things holding you back when it comes to modifying your car?

Here are some possible factors.
1) Money - not having enough of it.
2) Worries about reliability
3) Insurance costs
4) Daily running costs
5) Uncertainty about which mods would work the best

Or is it some other factor I've not thought of yet?

Aslong as you know what your doing then you can be more at ease knowing that a hell of alot of engines out there will take a good amount of tuning and aslong as it's done right, then engines can still be reliable. If you get a remap, alot of the time it can up the power at the same time as lowering your fuel consumption a bit, so if you have some mods, and have the correct live mapping done (I say this as re-maps are basically pre written, but live mapping is the right way) then you can get more power, still have a reliable tuned engine, and not as bad on fuel as some may think.

But at the end of the day, NOTHING can be done without that all important £$£$£$£$'s

TIME! And location

If I want any work done to my baby, then I have to travel 600 miles away and take about a week off work, and a week away from home. Have to visit family down in South Wales, then North Wales and then the cost of all that is daft. So for putting in some CAMS, something I have wanted to do, at a cost of around £700 for parts, labour and a remap, I have had to wate over a year. :amazed:

Maybe money, just. But not as a limiting factor, more as a feeling of guilt for spending so much.

When you say just may I humbly suggest you might mean you think you should

The fact that you and I continue to do it shows that any guilt is strictly temporary if it is indeed it is ever felt at all.

I'd say 2 and 5 is whats holding me back. And maybe number 3. Does something happen to your insurance payments by adding mods to your car ????
Yup it does, a lot depends upon the insurer concerned and the type of mod you're doing. Some insurers over here refuse to cover any modified cars at all, and a few dont even bat and eye lid when you mention it.

Or you can try and blag them you know nothing about cars and thort that body kit, neons and them big valvey things sticking out of your engine were all standard. :confused:

But that doesn't tend to work verry often!! :D

I HATE tuning my car! It's a pain, it's expensive, and if it's done wrong, can destroy loads of money worth of good parts/mods!!!!!!!!

A tune is arguably the best thing for your car, if done right but one of the most easily detrimental if don wrong.

So, I think very very carefully about a mod if it's going to require a tune afterwards.

I HATE tuning my car! It's a pain, it's expensive, and if it's done wrong, can destroy loads of money worth of good parts/mods!!!!!!!!

A tune is arguably the best thing for your car, if done right but one of the most easily detrimental if don wrong.

So, I think very very carefully about a mod if it's going to require a tune afterwards.

Say what? How many times would you like to contradict yourself in one paragraph!! lol

Tuning IS a good thing. But if it's done wrong it can be a very bad thing. I don't see how that's contradictory.

I hate doing any mod that requires a tune because then I have to roll some extremely expensive dice.

Am I going to gain 50whp? or am I going to blow up my engine? Is this guy as good as he says he is at tuning? or am I wasting $500 for this guy to "experiment" and destroy a $3000 engine?

Talking from experience here. On a good day, a tune is the greatest thing for any modder/driver. on a bad day, it's your engines worst nightmare. So I hate tuning. I hate rolling the dice....Once I have a good tune in, I prefer to keep it.

Last edited:
Maybe you should get a more competent tuner?

I'm looking for one. May have found one. Problem is, the damage has already been done. The guy who tuned my car was an idiot. and I was stupid to have trusted him. Gotta do more homework this time around.

tune=remap