Replace rear brake guide pins??

grantwhite

Wrench Pro
Car
a3 1.8t quattro s
Hi

Gonna be fitting new discs and pads this weekend just looking through my haynes manual and it said i should replace the rear guide pins when changing the pads is this necessary do you think???

cheers

Grant

im not sure haven't priced them yet can't find them on the net or ebay will have to ring the stealers in the morning see how much they are.

yeah that is my thought i wouldn't have thought they would be too expensive but then again if i can only get them from a stealer you never know.

i did bother when i did mine, the wifes or a mates

both mine and mates were on the 256mm vented setup
and the wifes was the 232mm single disc.

i found it easier to remove the whole carrier rather than jsut the calliper

Hi

Gonna be fitting new discs and pads this weekend just looking through my haynes manual and it said i should replace the rear guide pins when changing the pads is this necessary do you think???

cheers

Grant

Are the replacements standard or an uprgraded set?

i am fitting red stuff pads and brembo max discs all round, i called the stealers today and they said they don't replace them when they change the rear discs and pads. The parts are £66 each as they are part of the housing, so i will just clean them up i think.

The parts are £66 each as they are part of the housing, so i will just clean them up i think.

theyre talking out the rectrum, just because there isnt a number beside them but they will be listed a separate section they just cant be bothered to look.
mate needed crush washers for rear brake pipes, Skoda told him the same you need to buy the whole line - not even shown on the diagram - but they were found in another section at something stupid like 12p each

I will be fitting these on the weekend will upload some photos in case anyone is interested haha.

There should be a warning when you sign up to this forum that you will become addicted:lol:

rewind tool and a lot of plusgas to get the callipers to wind back mate. if they wont shift theres a good chance youll need to eremove the calliper and operate the handbrake mechanism to remove the piston, clean it up and refit

hi

Fitted the brakes today and gave the car a service. You don't have to replace the guide pins on the rear, you only have to change the bolts it says but i didn't i think it because they have thread lock on them. My brake light switch went as well thats the second one of these i have had to put in. £10 from dealer not to bad.

Attachments

• Front disc.jpg
    Front disc.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Rear disc.jpg
    Rear disc.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 4
I did brakes and pads all round the other week, managed to round the retaining screw on the last disc one I came to... was an absolute bugger! Luckily managed to drill it out and save 3/4 of the thread... Be careful and drown them in wd40!

I did brakes and pads all round the other week, managed to round the retaining screw on the last disc one I came to... was an absolute bugger! Luckily managed to drill it out and save 3/4 of the thread... Be careful and drown them in wd40!

easy done as they might as well be made out of cheese, as a rule i get some new screws as they cost pennies.