Replace breath test with reflex test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the alcohol breath test with a simple reflex test?

It would pick up on true ability to drive and will hit tired or old drivers whos skills have become impaired to the point of being dangerous.

Is the breath test still a fair measure of competency to drive?

But I could argue that bad reflexes guarantee a bad driver ;)

Not necessarily. First you would have to define bad reflexes.

Super fast reflexes could actually be worse than normal or slow ones. Super fast could cause jerky movements or over correction. What is required is a smooth controlled reaction.

As long as you are aware of your reaction speed you can drive within them.

A lot of yopung drivers boast about their super quick reactions claiming they will get them out of trouble. A driver with slower reactions and is aware of them will drive accordingly and not get into a situation where super fast reactions MAY help.

Agree with OG. I am certain that an 18 year old has slightly swifter reflexes that I have. Particularly in response to spurious stimuli.

But if I'm moving 15mph slower, looking 15 times further up the road and use better rehearsed anticipation skills it buys me a lot of time over the fractions of a second difference in reflex speed.

Some young drivers always boat they react to a situation as soon as they see it. But if I see a situation developing nine seconds earlier the balance changes. . . . . . .

I was exactly the same when I was a young lad, thought I had the reflexes of a cat and could get out of any motoring trouble with the mere flick of a wrist or quick footwork on the pedals :embarrest:
Being older and much wiser now, I look back at all of that bravado and I know now that it was all just nonsense; aah, the childish impetuation of youth ;)