Renault Megane Coupe (2000) 1.4 16v. Adding a turbo for the craic.

Cianomuirthile

Car
Renault megane
Hows it going? My brother has a Renault Megane coupe, 1.4 16V. Its over 16 years old and he cant manage to sell it. The car is in perfect condition so we are planning on throwing in a turbo for the craic, any suggestions and has anyone messed around with these engines or the 1.6 8V to add a turbo or other forced induction systems? Thanks.

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

To add a turbo to a NA engine will involve many euros, better to source a turbocharged engine from the Renault range.

Thanks its nice to be welcomed. Ya we realise we could end up blowing into the wind, but we have some parts such as the turbo, other scraped cars for the pipes and radiators so once we sit down and do the boring stuff like costs and time it shouldn't be too bad. We are basically doing it to learn what is needed and also as a little project. Thanks for your post though.

No problem |B

When you and your brother think you have everything why not start a thread in our Projects section ;)

No problem |B

When you and your brother think you have everything why not start a thread in our Projects section ;)
Ya I'll do that so, when we get to start it i'll be sure to keep it uptodate as I'm sure we will need to bounce ideas off of ye. Thanks.

Going for turbo from its natural impact might work differently and you may have to put a lot of bucks in its build up.
Would suggest you to go for a modification that would work for though this model is good looking.

Thanks Monty for the advice, but sadly at the moment the both of us are too busy with work to even start the work, but we are some what optimistic that we can make it work for cheapish. But we are also looking at bringing a Renault Fuego back to life. We have one that is in dire need of work all over so if we happen to get time to start this project, which I feel is more important since the car could just disintegrate, then I'll be sure to make a new thread looking for useful tips.

Bolting a turbo onto a NA motor requires a lot of changes if you don't want to turn the engine into a hand grenade.:eek:
IMO the following is what you need to think about before embarking on this project to minimise the chance of it going bang and ending in tears.

- Best size turbo for the power level you want.
- waste-gate and max boost level
- Turbo manifold
- Dump pipe and larger diameter exhaust system
- Inter-cooler and pipework
- Stronger internals
- bigger injectors
- ECU remap OR an aftermarket EMS
- upgraded clutch

Careful tuning/mapping of the AFR's and ignition on a rolling road/Dyno by a reputable & experienced operator is a must.

Ya we began to look at manifold designs but didn't get any further than that. We were going to use a turbo from the 1.5dci 90hp renault engine because it wouldn't be too big but generates good boost. We were also looking at using the intercooler and pipes from the diesel engine. The 1.6 petrol injectors fit the 1.4 from what I recall and my brother was looking into remapping the ecu himself, he is a computer programmer so was hopeful but sadly we have it on hold for now. We're very grateful from all the input though. Have any of you fitted a turbo to a non-turbo engine that wasn't carb injection?