Renault Megane Classic 1.4 16V (2000)

petsoukos

Car
Renault Megane I
Hi there!

As the title implies I own an old Renault Megane Classic 1.4 16V of 2000. It has done 143.000Km (~90K miles).

It was my fathers car until 2004 when he got a Nissan X-Trail and sold it to my uncle who had it for another 4 years and had done only 22.000km. I bought it back coz I loved that car... :love:

I have it for 1yr now and have done another 22.000Km with it! I just love it. It runs quite nice. (I wish it was a 2lt engine...) Actually I did 200Km/h a few days ago... I don't know why it got that fast... it was on a level straight section of a freeway and I didn't even floored the pedal...and had a friend of mine who weighs 160Kg +me weighing 94Kg and a 3/4 fuel tank....kinda weird :blink: Couldn't believe what I was reading on the dashboard. Also the engine response is uber...everything on the car is stock! (cept the air intake tube which I must replace with the standard one coz it got corroded and fell off...:rolleyes:)

There is no point in this post actually... hm... maybe I'll throw in some questions to make it more interresting...

Hm... any suggestions for improvements? Something basic to start with like an 4-2-1 exhaust manifold maybe?

P.S. I don't like "big" styling improvements like weird beef looking bumbers or wings that can cut pedestrian heads off..

(I'm from Greece btw sorry for any weird typos or grammar...take care)

Hi and welcome. With a car with a mileage that high I would be looking at decoking the engine and would get a compression test to see how good the engine is. It might be that you are losing a lot of power through its age.

Why not do an engine swap with a 2.0 block? You can spend a lot of money on a 1.4 for not a very big power gain.

I don't know what the speed limits are in Greece but I do sincerely hope you weren't driving illegally fast on a public road, save it for the track;)

I don't know what the speed limits are in Greece but I do sincerely hope you weren't driving illegally fast on a public road, save it for the track;)

Speed limit is 130Km/h... The stretch I used was a finished section of the highway that is currently not in use... I sneaked in... :) I don't go racing and stuff most of the time I drive within the speed limits.

Hi and welcome.
Back to bussines... I think the speedo might be reading wrong. As far as I know there is some kinda agreement between constructors that after a certain speed the speedo goes mush... meaning it reads a lot more than you're actually going (to save you from going too far or some rubbish like that...) + I think your car has 93 or something HP right? if so the top speed should be around 187 and it should take a loooooooong time to get there if I know my Renaults correct. And about the tuning... are you going power (not much can come out of the 1.4 16v...) or some sleek look?

Last edited:
I want a bit more power out of it! I don't know if it is safe to swap engines to get that 2.0 block... And if I swap then I'll have to get more parts and thingies... Like lower suspenion and bigger tires... clutch, gearbox....???

You need to be reasonably competent to swap over an engine but it is probably the best mod you can do to your car without buying a new one.