Renault Master 2.8 diesel van engine change

MickieH

Torque Junkie
Car
Probe 2.5L 24v V6
Hi all,

Haven't been on in a while, so hope you're all ok.

I've got a friend with a Renault Master 2.8 diesel van.

The thing won't start.

The original engine had seized up and so was changed.

The moby didn't like the 'new' fuel pump and would not disengage, so the original pump was fitted instead. That has cured the moby issue, it now turns off.

Saying that, the thing still won't run.

The replacement engine came from another Master of the same year which had had a back end smash. The engine, however, was still running fine.

The timing for the fuel pump was not disturbed, we never removed the cam belt to change it, it was disconnected by three bolts just before it enters the cam belt area, so the timing should still be ok.

The injectors were not changed, but I don't think they need coding? Could be wrong perhaps?

The only thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a lot of air in the return line after cranking.

There is a priming bulb in there, and it goes hard after some pumping, but after cranking, it's pretty soft again.

I kinda suspect that there's air getting into the system somehow.

Not knowing loads about diesels, having never really worked on them before, I was wondering if any of you guys would have any ideas??

Cheers,
Mick.

If this is a dCi engine then the injection timing is not governed by the pump so you can happily remove that and refit without timing issues

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well it hasn't got a common rail, each injector is individually fed from the pump, four separate fuel lines. There's no solenoids at the injectors.

The fuel is getting there, the timing wasn't disturbed.

It's just really strange. Fuel pressure seems fine.

Someone mentioned crank sensor, and I could understand that on a petrol engine, but how does it affect a diesel?

It would affect a common rail diesel, yes, but you say no solenoids. Is it a dCi motor?

The dTi engines are high pressure direct injection units but the fuel timing would be as you describe.

Hmmmm, thinking time chaps ................

It would affect a common rail diesel, yes, but you say no solenoids. Is it a dCi motor?

The dTi engines are high pressure direct injection units but the fuel timing would be as you describe.

Hmmmm, thinking time chaps ................

No, it's a dTi.

After cranking, you can see air coming back along the fuel return line, so I'm guessing that air is getting into the fuel pump somehow.

It did have to be changed over as, apparently, the immobilizer is coded to the pump, and so it would not run with the replacement engine's pump.

A squirt of easy start and the thing will run for a couple of seconds, but then it splutters and just cranks again.

Seeing as this engine was running when it came out, I can't think of much else it could be.

I admit, I've no real experience with diesel engines, always having had pertol myself, so it's a little perplexing.

I'm not great with anything when it comes to hands on mechanical skills :) Theory is about my limit.

I'm hoping someone here will pick up the baton and find you the information you need.

Welcome to Torque Cars by the way

I'm not great with anything when it comes to hands on mechanical skills :) Theory is about my limit.

I'm hoping someone here will pick up the baton and find you the information you need.

Welcome to Torque Cars by the way

Thanks, I've been here a while, just not been on for a year due to circumstances, but I'm back.

I posted my project, my Ford Probe, up ages ago, still got it too :bigsmile:

have you tried bleeding each injector,one at a time?

loosen the fuel inlet line at the injector, should foam just a little then squirt pure fuel, just loosen dont disconnect the line, while you are cranking engine!

good luck!

Thanks, yeah, I tried bleeding each injector, and each one seemed to be pushing out clean, air free diesel.

I just loosened the line a little as you said.

When I stop cranking, you see air, frothy diesel coming out along the fuel return line.

I just don't get how that could be after bleeding.

well if you are getting air of any kind coming out the return you got an air problem, could be getting in most anyplace!

it is hard to diagnose air problems over the net, could be air is being pumped back and forth in the system and it wont expell from system!

just guessing at this point, and when you do find it,it will be very simple, and you say DUH.

if it runs on starting fluid,engine is porbably OK.

I rekon you're dead right.

I left it with the guy, with the above mentioned thoughts, and I think he's had it with it.

If it was mine I think I'd strip it down and be checking all the seals and so on.

It does run on starting fluid, so it can only be the air problem really.