renault intercooler

I'd be watchful given the geographical location. We lost out on a two hundred quid (in this case it was a Nintendo DS) order from China with an Ebay seller. Paypal also refused to get involved.

I'd be watchful given the geographical location. We lost out on a two hundred quid (in this case it was a Nintendo DS) order from China with an Ebay seller. Paypal also refused to get involved.

really ?! same thing appened to me . i bought 3 new DSi's for the daughters (christmas presents) and they were all messed up....
any way... any thoughs about this ?

Yes. OK. The downside with running larger coolers in remote locations is that it will introduce some more latency between pedal down and boost up. Basically because the compressor has to compress more air between itself and the hungry cylinders.

However, you will get more torque even though you'll have to wait a bit longer for it. The amount of performance increase is hard to determine as it depends on how well matched the standard system is.

i am thinking on the intercooler as the gta1749v will become a gta1852v or similar lol... (waiting for the guys to let me know whats the best option)... about the lag you make sense ...
i am runing on 22/23 psi on all the revs.... i think it would be good for the engine getting a better intercooler , no?

Is the 22/23 psi inclusive of atmospheric pressure at 14psi? Do you have a way to interrogate the ECU and perhaps get an idea of the intake air temperature? This could give some good insights into how far to go with uprated charge cooling?

Something I used to do with my remapped 406 2.2 HDi was jetwash the intercooler periodically. In my case it was mounted vertically directly to the left (from inside the car) of the radiator at the front of the engine bay. The amount of flies and general road borne junk that accumulated was startling. Simply pointing the jet wash lance through the fins (from the engine bay, thus blowing dirt out the front). Afterwards it really did feel livelier.

I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to uprating the cooler but if you're just looking to restore what feels like lost performance this is worth a go anyway.

"Is the 22/23 psi inclusive of atmospheric pressure at 14psi?"
i dont really know that... 22/23 psi is the reading i get from the Intake manifold pressure sensor....

"Do you have a way to interrogate the ECU and perhaps get an idea of the intake air temperature?"
before the turbo at the maf is around +2/5 degrees centigrades against ambient... after the intercooler i dont really know....

about cleaning the intercooler , not needed as i am always on the top of it ! :D

"Is the 22/23 psi inclusive of atmospheric pressure at 14psi?"
i dont really know that... 22/23 psi is the reading i get from the Intake manifold pressure sensor....

"Do you have a way to interrogate the ECU and perhaps get an idea of the intake air temperature?"
before the turbo at the maf is around +2/5 degrees centigrades against ambient... after the intercooler i dont really know....

about cleaning the intercooler , not needed as i am always on the top of it ! :D

The MAP sensor should be absolute. To be honest if I thought it through I'd have had the answer anway as otherwise you'd be running 38+ PSI :) That'd be quite something.

I don't have the means to interrogate the ECU and the MAF temperature measured is upstream of the turbo so that really doesn't tell us much.

The general idea is to get intake temps as low as possible. Colder air is denser air thus we can chuck in more fuel and release more power.

Thinking caps on for us then matey. :)

Jarrus - are you about? Ideas please ....

Aren't all cars? At least Renault left in some styling cues.
BMW can't achieve this.
Good cars for sure.
I have an (old 2001) E39 5 series.
Capable: yes
Reliable: yes.
Ugly: No.
Pretty: Well, who'd notice it? It disappears into the background. No French car has ever done this level of anonymity.

thanks HDI fun... i'll check them !
i want to get the intercooler fitted before the remap/dyno day... POOOOWEEEEEER :D

ok... good news...
turbo is on its way back and it will be a gta1752v capable of 26psi against the 18 psi from the oem turbo , and intercooler should be here on the 10th.
waiting for the intercooler to arrive, check the fitment , and buy the the silicone hoses as needed.

Last edited:
well ususally i never take pictures for some reasons...

hands dirty
mobile phone camera doesn't work
i need to be very focused when doing this kind of stuff ( i'm not a mechanic at the end of the day )

but i'll try to take some just for you guys !lol

Turbo arrived now !!!:p
tomorow will be a very very busy and cold day for me as i will fit it outdoors ..:confused:

intercooler will be delivered today or tomorow also !!! aaaaaah happy days !!!

turbo fitted and intercooler waiting for monday to get on the place. some welding and piping work to be made. spent more money in silicon and aluminium hoses then on the intercooler itself ! :/

after the bigger compressor wheel mod, the turbo is less responsive to the trotle (turbo gauge show me it takes more time to build up pressure) . after 100 miles runing in the new turbo i did some WOT acceleration and it does go fast but i feel it could be better. remap needed asap....

monday intercooler will be fitted and on next week remap before journey to Portugal.

Sorry I never replied before, but yes, bigger intercooler is a must for increased airflow and boost pressure, you want to get a close to ambiant as possinle, that intercooler should do the job nicely

thanks jarrus,
the intercooler i bought is the upgrade for the megane 225 and its huge !
at least twice the height of the oem . i will have to fabricate new suports and hoses to fit the new cooler because there's nothing out there specific for my car :(
monday will be fitted for sure !

no headlights or bumper

diference from OEM to upgraded

no intercooler... time to take some measurements

new in the place (kind of) just to see how i will fit it

copying the oem pipe corners and doing a "copy" with silicone and aluminium pipes

first atempt went well (from tthe inlet manifold to intercooler outlet)

diference from OEM pipes to the upgrated silicone ones , big diference !!!

from turbo to intercooler inlet

Last edited:
after some adjustments the brackets in the place and final result :)

it tooked me from around 11am to 4pm to get this done. it was a bit tricky but i did it !!! :D

thanks turbonutter69 but i did that already ! lol
i am waiting for their reply at this time, hopefully will be done today or tomorow. i need the remap done asap as i got to drive to portugal this week....

Great looking work on that new intercooler Pedro, you must be very proud of your efforts; I know I would be! ;)

Great looking work on that new intercooler Pedro, you must be very proud of your efforts; I know I would be! ;)
thanks T9

i am very happy indeed with what i've done :)
just did some WOT on the way back from london yesterday and no pipes poping out at 22 psi . hopefully it will stay like that for the journey