Renault 5 GT Turbo tuning

BluntyR5GTT

Car
R5 GT Turbo
This will just be a basic guideline for anyone whos a bit of a newbie to the r5 tuning scene ill admit that im far away from any expert but i do know the basic ingredients.

I think as with any car the first job is to free up the breathing so a nice full exhaust system is in order the bigger pipe bore the better and to compliment this either a full one piece 2.5 " elbow and downpipe from bjr or a slightly cheaper option of the ktec 2.5" downpipe and get your existing elbow bored out and make sure the throat and bend is worked on as well. Also its a good idea to uprate the air filter and if losing the standard air box then try to mount as far away from turbo as possible. As stated these mods are what id class as essential before doing anything else as now the restrictive standard parts of the gas/airflow have been freed up.

Next its time to get the boost turned up you can do this by either fitting a bleed valve under the bonnet or an in car boost controller (personally id go for bleed valve as its too tempting to keep winding the boost). Once either of these is fitted the most you can safely turn the boost up to on a standard T2 unit is around 16psi and trust me this coupled with the above breathing mods makes for a rapid little car. at this point id like to add that the fuelling will need looking at and possibly different jets either main or 2nd stage fitted also when running more boost a 0.9 air corrector is a good idea to have (i wont keep repeating this about jetting etc as everyones spec and engine seems react different so there is really no rule of thumb regarding which is the best for each level of tune). At this stage its very important to at least upgrade the intercooler to a double capacity one or if funds will allow a front mount intercooler ( adding one of these will gove the ideal place for an aftermarket air filter).

Now like anyone the craving for more is always there and whilst the t2 is a cracking responsive little turbo its just no good for some serious power increase now there are countless different specs of turbos out there so take your time in choosing one that suits your driving style and what exactly you want from the engine. Iv personally gone for a hybrid t25/t2 with a .63 rear this for me is perfect as the lag will not be increased by more than around 300-400rpm and it will give alot bigger gains than the t2 and pull alot better higher up the revs. the most popular turbo i can see is a full t25 turbo now be careful what rear housing you go for as this will add to the lag but for me this is about the limit for a fast road turbo as after this they start to become a bit of a lag monster eg hybrid t25/t3 , t28 but these make serious power so if your going for a drag or track car these are going to be best.

Next we move onto cams and headwork now iv done quite alot of asking about on this and im told unless you want 200bhp or more then dont bother, also that a piper ultimate road 285 cam wont really work well with anything less than full t25 @ 20psi i cant comment on this as iv not tried it but this is the general feedback i got. I know piper do the fast road 270 cam and maybe this would work with the hybrid t25/t2 turbo at around 18psi but again this is something im unsure of unless i try it ( wink wink). Also headwork regardless of what anyone says if you have the head off for any reason is a must as a better flowing head is always going to be a benefit no matter what the level of tune your engine is also why the head is off make sure you replace the gaskets with a group A gasket set.

Now obviously like with most cars its a good idea to get the suspension uprated either with lowering springs or a full kit and always look at upgrading the brakes either by fitting better discs and pads or going for a big brake upgrade.
If your a bit more serious then fit front and rear strut braces this will also help stiffen the chassis and no doubt help you if doing trackdays etc and lets be fair the 5 gt turbo is one awesome track toy once set up right. keeping on the trackday lines even though the 5 gt turbo is a light car (around 830-860kg) then a bit of weight loss can be had by removing the back seats and even adding perspex windows then its an ideal time to get a nice cage in there this will really help stiffen what already is a great little chassis up.

As said this is a pretty basic guide if anyone would like to add or comment on this that would be great and appreciated

Wow - impresive write up there. I may even use this as an article on the main site.

Any comments on wheel sizes, tyre selection and brake upgrades?

cheers fella :) i have mentioned about the brakes in there only brief but if going for big brakes either ktec recing or cgb motorsport do the kit, there are many different sets of upgraded pads and discs for the r5 gtt iv always fount that ebc make good discs and greenstuff pads seem to work well.

on wheels iv seen 17" on them but it takes alot of work and so i believe loses the handling quite a bit the best size is 15" really and popular renault spec upgrades are the mk1 clio 16v turbines or mk2 clio alloys also ronal turbos look amazing on the 5 gtt but alloy choice is always down to the owner and for me the alloys make or break a car

onto tyres my personal favourite choice are the uniroyal rainsport 2s someone said to me they are more for the wet to which my response was well compare the days the roads are wet or dry lol, also dont be fooled by that as trust me on this these tyres are better in the dry than any toyo proxes or yoko parada etc, as said this is my choice i just dont rate toyos at all especially in the wet, but once again this comes down to pref choice :)

Do you know if Clio GTi brakes will fit for example? Did Renault keep the same hub sizes? (I doubt this a lot though!)

i think the best way to go with the brakes is to go for a big brake upgrade off ktec or cgb as they up it to 285mm on the front :)

juts like to add another note to the engine tuning if your really serious about getting the best flow then look at getting the inlet manifold ported and de burred as its a tad restritive and even look at getting the carb top gas flowed

hay blunty. i just got a r5gtt. its had lots done to it and a good 2 inch of papper work with it.
what i wana know is about fitting a t25 turbo. i have one but not sure bout what i need to fit it in place of the t2. can you help?

hay. all i know is its a garret t25.
if i put a group a carb from ktec. a bigger intercooler. the t25. dose anyone know what sort of gane i will have?

it aint just as simple as sticking a group a carb on mate dont get fooled by all the ktec marketing, the carb setup is a swine get right but is easily done, what sort of psi would you be running, as its good to sort the 2nd stage and needle out for anything over 16psi.
also if your only running standard i/c now then upgrade that before you think of upping the boost.

yeah i was going to get the i/c carb and turbo fitted at the same time.is there any info anywhere that i can read on how to set it up? a guid sort of thing.
not sure on the psi really at the mo really need some advice on whats best. was gona fit a spider valve and incar boost guage so i can turn it up for track days and down for normal driving.

big no no on the in car boost gauge fella, remember this is a carb it can only be set once for fuelling so say for instance you set it up for 20psi then have it at 10psi the fuelling will be miles out on one setting. on the psi front that is down to you 16-18psi seems popular on a t25 but i have seen more. decide on what psi you want then ill help you with the carb set up :)

cool il keep you posted.
i have just had an un-expected pay out. a new allarm!! not impressed.
got no door locks so need an allarm to lock the car.

Right first you'll have to set it to 18psi and take it for a drive with an AFR gauge attached, once you get an idea what the AFR's are like then you'll know where to mod the carb.
There's no set spec for T25@18psi but as a very rough guide i recon standard 1.2mm main jet, 1.2mm second stage jet and poss 1mm air corrector. You may find the carb either needs to be modded more or les then that depending what the AFR's say.

hay bud. i have just had a bit of a knightmare. the car just died going down my local bypass. it did it the other day for a split second.
what happen was as i put my foot down a bit it lost power. as if it went from a 1.4 turbo to a 1.4

if its the turbo then i got a small problem. as i have the t25b but not the group a carb yet and cant aford the carb till end of the month.

any ideas?

hi there.
rite i now have the turbo and the carbs coming sat. what ells am i going to need to fit this lot? gaskit kits and sealants and stuff.

sounds fuelling/timing related that problem does. id advise getting a carb rebuild kit and doing that whilst its off and yes get new gaskets etc always best to freshen things up. dont forget you need an oil change with a new turbo

hay bud. done all that. had it rolling roaded. shes sweet as now. 130bhp and 130 pound of tourqe. at 15psi. so happy for now.
i need an alloy intercooler so i can turn it up a bit. its got a standerd inter at the mo so dont wana push it.

130bhp what turbo is that on t2 or t25 ? also is that at the wheels or flywheel as it seems a bit low ? have u got the standard ic strapped ? if i was you id get at least a double capacity ic on there asap

yeah thats at the wheels. no havent got it straped just going to get the double ic payday.

y du think thats low?
and its a t 25 with a standard actuator.

130bhp is not bad at all, and there is room for more so you can turn things up a bit when you want some more power.

Nice work though. Glad to see you've got it sorted.

thats ok then was getting worried then. i have a ktech manafold to go on next month and the ic. so should wind it up a bit. have fitted a boost/blead valve under the bonnet but havent tuched it yet. dont wana blow the ic.
how do i get some pics up? photobucket??

do not bother with a tubular manifold believe me they aint worth it on a 5 i did alot of research on this matter spend your money on a decent cam or something.

im not to sure on what your figure works out at the flywheel but @ 15psi at the fly on a t25 id imagine at least 165bhp and similar torque, ill have a check with a few of the lads see what they made when on a t25. whats the rest of the spec of your engine ? standard cam and head ?

yeah as far as i know its all standard.
i have a print out in the paperwork i have from the past owner and it says 121 bhp then 167 at the fly.il take a pic of it and pop it on hear.

a mate that works at janspeed has a r5. thats out of this world.
he has told me there is around 40/50 loss through the transmition.wich is more than most other cars.

hes looking in to y its so much.

his is at 270 at the wheels at the mo. lol

tryd to put a pic on but its to big a file.il keep trying.