Removing Brake dust

Re: Colouring stock alloys

Anyone got a good way to remove the black brake dust from 'em? The fronts seem to be easy to clean but the rear pads are obviously of a very different formulation and it's like the stuff is glued onto the rims.

I hear good things about cillit bang....never tried it myself though :)

Re: Colouring stock alloys

Anyone got a good way to remove the black brake dust from 'em? The fronts seem to be easy to clean but the rear pads are obviously of a very different formulation and it's like the stuff is glued onto the rims.

i use mr muscle oven cleaner works very well :)

any kind of oven cleaner will do the trick just make sure you wash it ALL off with soapy water after leaving it on there for about a minute.

i normally use wonder wheels to keep my alloys looking nice, its magic stuff :)

phosphoric acid i get a small amount from work and heavily diluted to around 1%
its used in most over cleaners and just about all acid based wheel cleaners. as 2 fast said only leave it a short time and wash it off well, lots of water

I used a strong solution of Citric acid. Leave it on and then scrub hard. This does not damage the wheels but is enough to lift the dust. Elbow grease is the key here, get one of those scrub pads and a stick if you can they really do help.

It seems I'm expecting to much of magic wheel cleaning potions. Perhaps I'll just have to get down and dirty with 'em and use some very nasty chemicals. I'm going to try 2Fast's suggestion of using oven cleaner.

Perhaps, however, I can bribe the kids to do the job. Sadly neither of mine will take a McDonald's by way of recompense and remuneration :-(

They're more likely to start a campaign for a trip to the local Indian restaurant (Buckingham Fort on West Street is they're preferred choice - and it's a good one but doesn't come cheap). Oops, what am I breeding here?

It seems I'm expecting to much of magic wheel cleaning potions. Perhaps I'll just have to get down and dirty with 'em and use some very nasty chemicals. I'm going to try 2Fast's suggestion of using oven cleaner.

Perhaps, however, I can bribe the kids to do the job. Sadly neither of mine will take a McDonald's by way of recompense and remuneration :-(

They're more likely to start a campaign for a trip to the local Indian restaurant (Buckingham Fort on West Street is they're preferred choice - and it's a good one but doesn't come cheap). Oops, what am I breeding here?

well i say fair play to them what kind of reward is mcdonalds
nod.gif

well i say fair play to them what kind of reward is mcdonalds
nod.gif

It isn't really much of a reward at all, is it :blink:

They've both been like this since they were born though.

Sara and I are both very capable cooks and the kids have got themselves a taste for foods from all round this planet.

I'd persuade 'em very easily with a full on kick ass flavour home made mushroom risotto. Actually, let's try that one before I mention the Fort :)

It isn't really much of a reward at all, is it :blink:

They've both been like this since they were born though.

Sara and I are both very capable cooks and the kids have got themselves a taste for foods from all round this planet.

I'd persuade 'em very easily with a full on kick ass flavour home made mushroom risotto. Actually, let's try that one before I mention the Fort :)

put it this way mate if that is their favorite food they will take it over a curry anyday
like if my old man offered me a pan of scouse or a curry i would take the scouse anyday
nod.gif

put it this way mate if that is their favorite food they will take it over a curry anyday
like if my old man offered me a pan of scouse or a curry i would take the scouse anyday
nod.gif

I'm actually grateful that my kids are very untypical and enjoy proper food over and above the usual stuff that most will only eat.

It makes things easy indoors - we fancy a moroccan lamb dish with couscous and coriander; they get it, too.

Dead simple. But it's not cleaned my bloody wheels!!!!!!!!

couscous is that the thing made with chick peas ????

Close, but not quite. I know what you're thinking of - chick pea dhal, for example. That's made with peas that are similar to olde worlde dried peas that we can still get in supermarkets. sometimes, anyway

If you imagine getting a packet of spaghetti or fettucini and chopping it all really finely before you pour boiling water onto it then that's what couscous is. It's very similar to bulgar wheat (which is the rich man's alternative - I'm poor so I don't have the stuff).

You can season couscous to suit all kinds of meals from egyptian to pakistani or even goan. At a push you can even make a good fist of a mexican chili con carne with couscous on the side.

Handy stuff, in my opinion.

It's also a great thing to use in salads.

Close, but not quite. I know what you're thinking of - chick pea dhal, for example. That's made with peas that are similar to olde worlde dried peas that we can still get in supermarkets. sometimes, anyway

If you imagine getting a packet of spaghetti or fettucini and chopping it all really finely before you pour boiling water onto it then that's what couscous is. It's very similar to bulgar wheat (which is the rich man's alternative - I'm poor so I don't have the stuff).

You can season couscous to suit all kinds of meals from egyptian to pakistani or even goan. At a push you can even make a good fist of a mexican chili con carne with couscous on the side.

Handy stuff, in my opinion.

It's also a great thing to use in salads.

So when is the torquecars meet at your house for dinner? :p

I'd better get the old wire brush on the grill then.

Home made Highland beef burgers with Swiss Emmental?

Or perhaps chorizo and Manchego. This is my high class dericative of a Bacon/double cheese and should be banned because it's as addictive as crack cocaine.