Reminder to those intending to modify their car

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
The subject about modifying or altering anything a standard vehicle and insurance cover has been covered in the past but in case new and newish members have not searched so I thought it timely to revive the subject of comprehensive insurance or accident cover.

IF you are already insured and decide to change ,alter or modify anything then your insurer needs to be advised as to what they are being asked to cover so they can re-evaluate the risk to decide if they wish to continue with your insurance cover or increase the premium

They may decide to increase your premium or not based on your modifications , driving history ,age, location, parked on the street or in a lockable garage

My previous car was extensively modded (motor, turbo MPI gearbox , brakes suspension and I always advised them IN WRITING and obtained their WRITTEN approval with an agreed value as well as the wreck should it be written off.

Based on my experience get the insurers approval BEFORE you do any mod and keep records of everything in a file I know I am old school and like paper records instead of electronic records that can be lost with a keystroke so that is I print out any Email correspondence.

Last edited: