remapping!!!! is it worth it?

ghettokartel

Tuner
Car
AUDI A4 FSI
I am driving an audi a4 fsi, not the tfsi. 2.0l petrol engine. I have been quoted £250-£300 for a home remap. This will only increse the bhp from 150 to 160ish.

Is it worth it? I doubt it will make much difference to the mpg as the fsi engine is alreay very good.

Thanks for your advise....

With a naturally aspirated engine it's not really beneficial. You'll also pay for the privilege at the pumps.

Common rail diesels are the kiddies to remap - the torque they churn out is outrageous.

to get the best from a remap on a n/a engine you should do your breathing and exhaust mods first then get a bespoke remap to make the most of them. I think what generic ones do for n/a engines is basically raise the redline limit to give a bigger peak power figure.

A Home Remap??

I'd be carefull. Who ever is doing it, make sure they do it for a living. There are a lot of people who map cars (I know this because it took me a while to find a good mapper) who have downloaded some bog standard maps of the internet and altered them. Your first map on your car should cost around £500-£600 because you are paying for there licence that they imprint onto the CPU.

Plus, If you get a cowboy, who wipes your cpu (all cpu need to be wiped before mapping) but doesn't save the original, you could end up with all sorts of security proplems. Imoboliser, car alarm ect.

Pay the extra, and I'm sure you will get more out of it.

As he says ^^

Generic maps are a waste of money as they only work on standard cars and take no account for any minor mods done. A proper remap involves a dyno run to ascertain the current engines status and the mapper will tweak the parameters to suit. It is best left until induction and exhaust mods have been done as this will help to refine the final settings.

I have been there myself and the experience was well worth it as the standard map was inadeqaute at high revs, the afr was poor. Mine went from 177 standard up to 200 with breathing mods and final remap.

It's niot just the peak power gain you should be looking at. A remap will improve the whole torque curve and the engine will pick up from lower down as well. However a NASP engine does not offer much of a gain at all on a remap. My recommendation would be to not bother with it. A similar amount spoent on a turbo engine would usually yield a 30% power gain.

There are some professional remappers out there who offer a home service but as has been said make sure they have the backing of a professional company who download your map, update it and then flash it back to your ECU.

Don't DIY this one - very risky. As said before though, there's not a lot to be had from naturally aspirated engines.

Common rail diesels are the best 'patients'.

Bosch PD systems on turbo diesels are also good to remap just as good as common rails, not as precise but big gains can be had from them due to the huge fuel pressures they can run.
Also I do resent the commets on the Turbo Diesel tuning guide on this website, old style mechanical turbo diesels are cappable of producing big power as well and are not a waste of time tuning. You've just got to know what you are doing, and it can be good in someways as you don't have to visit a remapper every time you change your mods, you can tweak yourself.

Bosch PD systems on turbo diesels are also good to remap just as good as common rails, not as precise but big gains can be had from them due to the huge fuel pressures they can run.
Also I do resent the commets on the Turbo Diesel tuning guide on this website, old style mechanical turbo diesels are cappable of producing big power as well and are not a waste of time tuning. You've just got to know what you are doing, and it can be good in someways as you don't have to visit a remapper every time you change your mods, you can tweak yourself.

I agree on most points of yours. IDI diesel engines, however, will not deliver the outrageous torque figures that remapped common rail ones will deliver.

It all depends upon what you're used to driving. My 2.2HDi 406 with a Celtic remap would maintain reasonable pace with a BMW 540i or Jaguar XK8.

The 2.1 litre XUDT engine simply wouldn't get close no matter how hard you tuned it.

My current car is a 528i E39. It's lively enough, but not quick.

I still beg to differ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhkhZQKS1U

with somemore advance on the pump then more torque from that could be had, but I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that for the cost of a remap on a 2.2 hdi you can buy a whole engine 2.1 XUD11 TD, bigger turbo and the 2 pumps needed to make it produce those figures.
I don't see a 2.2 hdi engine go for less than £1000 on ebay and a map costs £400-£500 for £1500 I could buy and make any 1.9 or 2.1 XUD produce more power.

Look at the soot it's chucking out though. Mine was clean before and after remapping.

My map was £200 (special deal) in 2006 and that realised 320+ lbft (over 430Nm).

Additionally, the XUDT engines are unrefined noisy things - the 2.2 HDi is silky smooth.

So I'm not convinced.

Noisey? fairly..... Unrefined? Definately not....
I have a project thread open on my car at the moment and I WILL prove that they are worth tuning.....
Watch this space....

Lol, ramping up a car I suppose is the same thing, when you say I'm going to ramp it up a bit... If you know what I'm getting,

@hdi

It will be difficult, it will smoke a bit because the engine really has no real emissions control (it used to though but not enough to sort the problem)
Will just have to be some fine tuning, and I would consider LPG as well and it should give me some big gains but at this point it would be cheating and I like a challenge to stretch the mind to the limits. My current job isn't challenging at all.

Go for it and enjoy. I still think if you started with a 2.2 HDi unit you could get close to 300bhp and probably 400lbft with a seriously large turbocharger but I understand that your goal is to demonstrate what's possible with a mechanical diesel engine.

Last edited:
Indeed it is,

The most I've seen with the 2.2 hdi is 240hp and 400 lbft, but thats about as much as is possible due to the injectors flow rate maximum being reached and there isn't suitable replacements that is known...yet.
If I need larger nozzles in mine I have contected Diesel United in shropshire and the guy there thinks that some E300D (merc) should fit the bill fine but on IDI diesels injector size isn't really an issue, but we will see. When the weather picks up then I will be running out the spanners and what not untill then have a read though my project thread (link is in my sig.) and see what you think and work will comense after christmas.

Best thing you can do is get some Esso vouchers for Xmas then!! And perhaps a DD form to pay for the roadside emissions fines along with the speeding ones :)

Happy tuning

My car smokes like a barsteward now and I haven't been stopped and it passes it's mot everytime so again should be a problem and as for fuel consumtion, obviously it will use more when I've got my foot down but when driving normally then it should be unchanged

When I'm pottering around town I get about 42 mpg, when on the motorway I get about 50 mpg and when I'm really towing the crap out of it I get about 10 mpg!