Remapping a turbo diesel engine. :- More power, more economy it sounds too good to be true.

yep i too didnt believe it at first .. though in my case it was only 15% more power 15% better FC ,,, however i still do Maintenance intervals once per 15k kilometers

Probably for safety reasons and engine life span , i was also told that the Transmission on my car can only handle 240HP at best , currently the power Remap Maxes out at 200HP and 420Nm (FC is sacrificed to gain these numbers) ...Might have something to do with it being a 4x4 SUV ... the Turbo on it is GT2056S , Perhaps it is limiting the gains aswell (In stock condition my car has 165HP and 340Nm oh and its a 2.7L Engine)

Can I pick one fault in the article. It says fuel will be injected earlier. Generally speaking tuners will either leave SOI the same and run more duration and in some cases inject later when there is more pressure to gain power. Pulling SOI is de-tuning the engine and go too much with this you'll get negative torque against a piston not close enough to TDC and risk significant damage.

A remap shouldn't affect engine lifespan unless you constantly max it out :)
165bhp would equate to around 230 with a decent remap, within your gearbox's alleged 240 limit.

then i guess this is the best this tuning group can achieve , sadly my Vehicle brand isnt well known or wide spread so there are very few people out there that attempt to tune or upgrade it ... ill try too look around google see if anyone managed to remap a 270Xdi Rexton or a Mercedes ML270 to higher figures since they are pretty much the same

i just looked around Google it seems 200HP 430Nm is what ull get from Remapping the 2.7 Liter Engine on both the ML270 and the 270Xdi (Mercedes and Ssangyong) ... im guessing this is just what the engine can manage , its the same on many sites the most was 205HP while the least was 190Hp

Hi guys! I'm just a newbie...I have a 1.6 Accent CRDI (VGT) and really considering a good remap. I wonder if you could kindly share your knowledge on the DOs and DON'Ts of a good quality remap. Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

More power TC!

Don't go for the cheapest, nor for the one with the highest power & torque gains. These are either exaggerated or, if true, are likely to stress the whole engine and drivetrain.

well first thing you should do is make sure people tried remapping that certain car model and once you find such people make sure to ask for their experience and any tips they can give you for the future once you do that certain remap by that certain group/company ...
talking in general most of those who do remaps will keep their maps withing the safe limit for the turbo/engine/transmission and they will give you a warranty and a period of time in which you can try out the new map and if you arent pleased with it you can just cancel the whole deal .

Usually for Diesel cars there are 3 types of remaps , one would be Eco map (saves fuel and adds slightly more Hp), then theres the Powermap which is a decent increase in power while sacrificing Fuel consumption to a certain degree , and finally theres the Ultra/Mega/Super or whatever they may call it which is taking your turbo close to its limit on boost pressure ...
now all of those are supposed to be within the safe range and should not cause any issues in the future , but keep in mind that a remap is extra stress on an engine and it will shorten the lifespan of the cars components (lets say 10% is a fair loss to lifespan) so if your engine is supposed to last 1 million kilometers before dying it will now last 900000 instead (which is really a minor thing )..

another thing to keep in mind that theres is a change for worn parts on your car to burst when the extra power is added , not because the Remap is bad but simply because those parts are old and worn out and the extra power at their age was the last nail in the coffin .. (im talking about plastic pipes , vacuum hoses,air filter) ....

one last thing , once you remap consider doing the regular maintenance more often so if you used to change oils and filters every 15k kilometers , it will be time to start doing them every 10k kilometers just to be on the safe side

well first thing you should do is make sure people tried remapping that certain car model and once you find such people make sure to ask for their experience and any tips they can give you for the future once you do that certain remap by that certain group/company ...
talking in general most of those who do remaps will keep their maps withing the safe limit for the turbo/engine/transmission and they will give you a warranty and a period of time in which you can try out the new map and if you arent pleased with it you can just cancel the whole deal .

Usually for Diesel cars there are 3 types of remaps , one would be Eco map (saves fuel and adds slightly more Hp), then theres the Powermap which is a decent increase in power while sacrificing Fuel consumption to a certain degree , and finally theres the Ultra/Mega/Super or whatever they may call it which is taking your turbo close to its limit on boost pressure ...
now all of those are supposed to be within the safe range and should not cause any issues in the future , but keep in mind that a remap is extra stress on an engine and it will shorten the lifespan of the cars components (lets say 10% is a fair loss to lifespan) so if your engine is supposed to last 1 million kilometers before dying it will now last 900000 instead (which is really a minor thing )..

another thing to keep in mind that theres is a change for worn parts on your car to burst when the extra power is added , not because the Remap is bad but simply because those parts are old and worn out and the extra power at their age was the last nail in the coffin .. (im talking about plastic pipes , vacuum hoses,air filter) ....

one last thing , once you remap consider doing the regular maintenance more often so if you used to change oils and filters every 15k kilometers , it will be time to start doing them every 10k kilometers just to be on the safe side
Super thanks sir bax! :)

Hi new on here, I have a Dodge avenger 2.0 CRD with a stage 1 map. This gave 189bhp and 300ft/lb torque on the rolling road.
Having the EGR removed next, what else can be done?

next step would probably be upgrading the Intake (K&N filter) and a sport exhaust system , Bigger downpipe , bigger intercooler hoses (Aluminum) ... these will be costly unlike the Stage 1 remap youve done , also the gains will be minimal

i was thinking maybe Open pod will be better ... the K&N drop on filter didnt improve anything for my car , im actually suspecting it even reduced the top speed and fuel efficiency

The panel filters are OK IMO on diesels, the induction kits make no sense whatsoever. I have a K&N cotton in mine but I really didn't notice a thing when I added it.

I really doubt your engine is struggling to flow enough air so the air filter improvement is a negligible effect. Add another 200bhp and you'll need to look at improving the intake.

I am wary of the ability of oiled filters to actually filter air effectively.

Aren't oiled filters likely to be more effective than dry ones in reducing impurities as the stickiness in the oil will catch them?
Presumably they will clog up more quickly and thereby increase the air resistance long term rather than reduce it.\B

Had mine done by Celtic tuning in Newquay

How much did it cost? Is it worthwhile to DIY?
Did you notice any performance improvement?
I blocked one off on a Toyota some while ago as it kept sticking but didn't see any performance benefit.

How much did it cost? Is it worthwhile to DIY?
Did you notice any performance improvement?
I blocked one off on a Toyota some while ago as it kept sticking but didn't see any performance benefit.
Cost £75 and stopped the flat spot i was getting at 70mph and smokes less

Aren't oiled filters likely to be more effective than dry ones in reducing impurities as the stickiness in the oil will catch them?
Presumably they will clog up more quickly and thereby increase the air resistance long term rather than reduce it

I think it's Denso who state in one of their web sites that oiled air filters are one of the biggest reasons for MAF sensor contamination.