Remap Options for V6 TDI 272 - Help Please!

donny

Car
A4 Quattro 272 V6T
Hi, I am new to this site but glad to find a bank of helpful knowledge!
I have a 2016 A4 Avant Quattro 272, and am just getting to the point of wanting to remap. Having looked into it i have found basically 2 options out there:
1) Remap to 320bhp & 750nm for £299 + VAT
2) Remap to 328bhp & 670nm for £355 inc VAT - this option also gives an extra 10-15% MPG apparently, and is completely untraceable to Audi.
Question is - which one to go for!? Both very similar cost, but which will provide the best performance for the money? Do I sacrifice torque for more bhp, or do I want all the torque with slightly reduced bhp?
Has anyone experienced either or both of these 2 maps? Be glad to hear from you! Cheers. D

depends what you want really, the top one is going to be the quicker car no doubt about it, bottom one makes more sense if you want save a tad on fuel etc.

who are the maps from btw?

You will not notice 8bhp. It's just too small a difference at that level.
You will notice that extra torque when you floor it. Go for the torque.

depends what you want really, the top one is going to be the quicker car no doubt about it, bottom one makes more sense if you want save a tad on fuel etc.

who are the maps from btw?
Cheers yes thought that would be the case, I was just a bit worried that it was a case of just wack it to the highest torque you can and away you go, without the map actually having been tested in real life on the engine, ideally want to find someone who has had it and can give me feedback on how reliable it is! (Only because I had a bad experience last time I had a car mapped -Skoda vRS - which was all out for performance, it went like stink, but it cracked the head on the engine twice because the power was too much for it - so want to avoid that again at all costs!)

The 1st one was Midland Remaps, but I've been offered those figures by about 3 different remappers, so it must be a generic one out there by the looks. The second option is by Angle Tuning - which is incidentally who I used before and had the issue.

You will not notice 8bhp. It's just too small a difference at that level.
You will notice that extra torque when you floor it. Go for the torque.
Yep ok, it is a hefty amount more certainly, just hope at that level of twist it won't hurt other areas of the car? (I need it to last a while longer yet ;)

Midland remaps are very good . My brother has had 2 different cars mapped by them in the past so I would seriously consider them.

They will only map within the capability of the engine/gearbox/clutch I'm sure.

Midland remaps are very good . My brother has had 2 different cars mapped by them in the past so I would seriously consider them.

They will only map within the capability of the engine/gearbox/clutch I'm sure.
Ok that's v good to know, thanks for that.

A decent mapper should jig around with the numbers while the car is in a rolling road.
They should push it until knock is heard then pull back into safety margins.
The gearbox and clutch should take more than that so there shouldn't be anything to worry about there (unless your clutch is crud... mapper should, again, be able to tell if any parts are about to fail).
Quoted figures will be guidelines and your car may make more or less on the day; so many factors play a part, inc fuel used for example.

Are you planning on any other mods? Turbo, exhaust, injectors for example? Remap should be last.

A decent mapper should jig around with the numbers while the car is in a rolling road.
They should push it until knock is heard then pull back into safety margins.
The gearbox and clutch should take more than that so there shouldn't be anything to worry about there (unless your clutch is crud... mapper should, again, be able to tell if any parts are about to fail).
Quoted figures will be guidelines and your car may make more or less on the day; so many factors play a part, inc fuel used for example.

Are you planning on any other mods? Turbo, exhaust, injectors for example? Remap should be last.
Yes definitely, there are not loads around with decent 4wd dynos though, MSL in Birmingham has a good one but their figures for the map were not that impressive, and they are more expensive than anyone else too.

I have had the silencers removed from the exhaust, not for sound but just for airflow, and I will probably drop a K&N air filter in too, but hadn't really thought of anything else?

Agree with everything posted so far in this thread. However never use the headline power figures to judge a map. It could just be a spike on the torque/bhp band. Look at the overall power graph.

There are some tuners out there, that optimise their maps to give a nice spike at high rpm, and this could be damaging to an engine, and could be at the sacrifice of a wider power band.

What you are looking for IMHO is power coming on as soon as possible and a nice steady power delivery right across the RPM range. Personally I like flat torque curves, especially on road cars, but some drivers prefer a peak around 4000rpm to give that kick in the back effect.

Agree with everything posted so far in this thread. However never use the headline power figures to judge a map. It could just be a spike on the torque/bhp band. Look at the overall power graph.

There are some tuners out there, that optimise their maps to give a nice spike at high rpm, and this could be damaging to an engine, and could be at the sacrifice of a wider power band.

What you are looking for IMHO is power coming on as soon as possible and a nice steady power delivery right across the RPM range. Personally I like flat torque curves, especially on road cars, but some drivers prefer a peak around 4000rpm to give that kick in the back effect.
Thanks that's helpful - I take it any decent remapper will have a graph for the map, showing how the power is delivered?

They should do, ideally a map should be created on a dyno in the first place so there should be a printout. Some companies just tweak a map on a computer, try it, and tweak it further as required so the map setup never sees a dyno so it might be a good way to sort out the men from the boys.

Thanks, I'll keep researching! A mate has just ordered the new S4, so it will be interesting to play with that once mine is mapped.

If I did go for the 320/750 option, he would have 344/700 in the S4, and pretty much the same engine. So him having an extra 20bhp but 50nm less torque, will be a very interesting test to drag them and see which is king in a race, torque or bhp? As the cars will pretty much weigh the same.

If we do it I will post the results ;)

Hi, just thought I'd weigh in on the thread. I've had a few cars mapped now and dyno custom tune is the way to go for proper job. More expensive then a generic map but works with condition of your engine you have and any mods. For VW group mapping and mods Darkside Developments are the guru's to talk to darksidedevelopments Be careful though their website can empty your pockets very quickly with all the stuff they do

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, just thought I'd weigh in on the thread. I've had a few cars mapped now and dyno custom tune is the way to go for proper job. More expensive then a generic map but works with condition of your engine you have and any mods. For VW group mapping and mods Darkside Developments are the guru's to talk to https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ecu-tuning/ Be careful though their website can empty your pockets very quickly with all the stuff they do
Ok I'll check them out! Thanks

Hi, just thought I'd weigh in on the thread. I've had a few cars mapped now and dyno custom tune is the way to go for proper job. More expensive then a generic map but works with condition of your engine you have and any mods. For VW group mapping and mods Darkside Developments are the guru's to talk to darksidedevelopments Be careful though their website can empty your pockets very quickly with all the stuff they do
Whoa you wern't wrong I've just spent the last 3 hours trawling through all their you tube vids and now I want custom exhausts and water feed and all sorts
Shame they are so far from me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they may be a long way but if you have a plan and work out logistics with them its worth going the extra miles to entrust your pride n joy with the right people. That's why they have clients from all over the world. They're a friendly knowledge group there when I've spoken with them. I'm just still saving. One day..... :rolleyes:

I know they may be a long way but if you have a plan and work out logistics with them its worth going the extra miles to entrust your pride n joy with the right people. That's why they have clients from all over the world. They're a friendly knowledge group there when I've spoken with them. I'm just still saving. One day..... :rolleyes:
Yes I am seriously weighing them up, I am a lot closer to DMS in Southampton though and like the sound of what they do, but they charge £200 more at £650 + vat!! However their price does include a full day booked on the dyno for the tune, and they will also come out to you FOC at anytime for 3 years after to sort any issues, and remove the file if the car needs to go into Audi for warranty work - so it's just whether that's worth the extra 200

Now running at 366hp (362bhp) & 780nm (575lb/ft)!
It's a proper slayer now. Economy improved too. Will recommend DMS anytime, proper good people to deal with and Rob knows his stuff.
£600 later - All happy!