Remap/mot fail?

Foxyles

Car
Rover75 diesel, aut
Hi everyone,Am 75,got interest in Rover75's last year.- bought two- 2..5 v6 petrol, and 2L diesel,116bhp,,remapped to 140bhp..
Had problems getting this years service before Mot for diesel.Failed on emissions.(Remap done before I acquired car)-At garage check,-suggested longer runs in car,+ accelerations,+' forte' soot cleaner added, to see if this might improve situation,- it didn't.- still smoke.
Don't know if lack of service ,or remap , or both could have contributed to Fail.,and what might be remedy.?Could dpf filter be added?
Definitely need solution for retest- to pass- to be able to tax/ insure.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Fill it with higher cetane fuel - it might have been mapped for this specific fuel, I prefer the Shell VPower, the detergents in it are really effective.

A bad burn is usually down to too much fuel or not enough air. Is the air filter clean and well flowing? Are the air intake and exhaust 02 sensors working ok? Problems here can cause the MEMS to overfuel.

The only cleaner that worked for me was from BG - 244 and 44k depending on the fuel type.

Remapped diesels are often more smoky if it's not done properly, so yes the remap could be the issue here, but we'll assume it passed ok in previous years.

The "Turin tune up" is what you need. Warm up the engine, then run it at a constant top third of your rev range, dropping a gear or two at 70mph is usually about right. This will create a very efficient burn right on the peak power zone for the engine. This needs to be done for 20-30 minutes overall, but not at one time, break it into two or three sessions.

A DPF will not reduce smoke much IMO and will cause more problems in the long run.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back