Reg Number Lookup

96AccordCoupe

Road Burner
Car
1996 Accord Coupe
You know those reg number lookups on various car parts sites etc that identify your car to make the process a bit more efficient?

(If not go on Castrol Oils website, they have one.)

Anyways, everywhere that I do a lookup and now recently a car parts place have looked my reg up and it always displays the same results.

A f*&!in V6 Renault Espace!

So should I be worried about this?

I have driven past numerous coppers in the past 4-5 months and none have stopped me from their magic box's alarm going off indicating the car is hot or missing documentation, so why is it the case?

Not sure what to do. Should I call the DVLA? All my papers are in order and look accurate.

*sighs*

Contact your local police station and ask them to do a PNC check on your reg plate. Be aware though if it turns out your car isn't legit then they will take it off you.

The insurance company and Hond-R managed to find the right car using the reg. I'm well confused.

Is it possible the reg was registered to an Espace at some point and then changed over to mine?

Last edited:
I can't see it being transfered from one car to another then. If the insurance company found it chances are it's just a mistake on the system that the parts company use. Phone the police and ask them to do a PNC check. That will tell you for sure.

Ok well the police said to call the DVLA as they won't check it without good reason i.e. a roadside stop.

That website says it's not on the motor insurance database :O

Hmm.

Gonna call DVLA now.

To be fair mate I would think it's anything to worry about. These companies buy a list of the cars reg numbers and make/models at irregular intervals from people like experian, its not updated as quickly as say an insurance companies.

If in doubt, do a check on www.askmid.com and will tell you what the car is and whether it is insured. This is updated more often than say castrol's website I would imagine.

Hope it helps,

Adam

Ok well the DVLA said:

My car on that plate does not exist.

The number plate according to their system belongs to a Renault Espace V6 which has since been destroyed.

The woman thinks that it might be some simple error of the wrong plates being put on the car as it might have had a private plate before.

She wants me to check my documents when I get home to make sure that reg is on them (which it is, I know it is, and on the tax disc) and then they are gonna match up other things like chassis number.

She said it is probably an easily fixable thing and will involve getting new plates made up so fingers crossed.

I still don't get how I managed to insure it though.

Technically I could go flying through speed cameras, do burnouts in the towncentre and noone would know where I live!

Gonna try and sort it all tonight though, properly.

Fingers crossed.

Was just listening to Radio Stoke and they were on about how car cloning is one of the biggest issues the authorities have to deal with at the moment.

Weird!

Anyways, thanks for your advice guys. I feel a little better now I've spoken to the relevant people. Just hope all goes well when I call tonight.

It sounds like a database error. Did you do a HPI check on the car (insurance writeoff and Finance). If that is clear then you should be ok - I wouldn't worry too much.

If someone sold you a stolen car then you would be able to get your money back from them via the courts but I doubt if the car is a rebadged writeoff if you would have any redress unless it was a dealer who would be bound by the sale of goods act.

Hpi was fine, but then it was checking the wrong reg.

I had an inckling it has had a front and rear bump before which I was suspicious of when I took it to a bodyshop to get the rust repair quoted.

The wings and bonnet colours dont match and the boot's paint is rubbish.

Can even see the overspray on the underneath of the car where the rear bumper was given a quick blowover.

Might even explain why it has a TypeR badge on the bonnet.

Couldnt see any of this when I bought it, just figured someone had tried to make it a TypeR as they stuck side stickers on it as well.

The chassis is fine though.

I feel helpless being stuck at work, wanna get it straightened out.

I'll be more pissed about all the money I have spent fixing it up than about losing the car (if it comes to that), as I'll never get it back.

*Edit - The car cost £475 when I bought it so I knew I was getting a nail, mechanics wise. didn't bank on all this worry though.

Last edited:
Everything matches, it's weird.

The service history, both dealer and local garages dating way back have that reg on it, all MOT certificates have that reg.

The window etching has that reg as well, although that's easily done.

I'm wetting myself to finish work and call the DVLA.

Try emailing them? Chances are they all go home at 5:00!

Seriously and I'm the most guilty of this, don't worry about something until it happens or you know for sure. The amount of times I have needlessly worried about stuff is unreal! ;)

Aye, heeding that advice a few hours ago probably would have served me well.

I pretty much punk'd myself today and I feel like a prize twat.

I've been going round stressing to anyone I can find, you guys, my boss, random clients, the staffordshire police, the DVLA, my local garage.. proper worrying my bollocks off.

So I'm driving home with the sole intention of calling the DVLA to straighten this out once I have my documents to hand and realise....

"My v5 is in the glovebox from when I bought the car. Let's have a look just to make sure I'm right in thinking it's all accurate."

Low and behold there is a small discrepancy.

I given blondes and dyslexics a reason to point and laugh at me today.

I've only been going round thinking my reg ends with JGH when it actually ends with JHG.

I fackin well look at it every morning!

I feel like the doziest c*&t ever.

On the one hand I'm relieved and the other is slapping myself.

I considered concocting some far fetched story to make myself look less like a mental case but I figured be more fun to share.

So have a chuckle at my expense and feel free to flame the crap outta me lol

*wanders off to bury his head*

embarrassed-smiley-face.jpg

Wooo Hoooo HOooo Hoooo

only joking mate easy mistake to make

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww never mind Lmao........ at least its friday...... i think......... hang on i'll just double check........... yep its friday :):):):)

hedgefail.jpg