Reducing mist on car windows

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone tried the rice and salt in a cup mixture in their car to reduce the mist that forms on car windows?

Does it really help? Or does the car just smell like a side dish from the local takeaway!

Personally if mist is a problem, I've tended to put RainX on the inside of the windows (the stuff you normally put on the outside to cause rain to bead/run off).

I'd be interested in whether or not rice works!! My heater core sprang a leak and I fixed it by putting a sealer in my radiator. I plan to get it fixed properly in the spring, but for the time being, the sealer has sealed 99% of the leak. the other 1%, however, results in mist on the inside of the windshield under most circumstances. Rice is inexpensive, and I could end up eating it, in a pinch!!

Attachments

• Green Corvette 201302761*.JPG
    Green Corvette 201302761*.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
The salt is the main thing, the rice stops it sticking together and allows air to flow around it. Give it a go and report back. It does seem to be working for me!

Holts used to do something called, funnily enough, Anti Mist. It worked. But why not just use the AC?

A/C becomes a problem with very cold outside temps. Most VAG group cars will cut it out for instance at low temperatures to prevent the system freezing.

What Rob said... and with a car that's long in the tooth, the AC is not as spry as it once was. My Corvette is 22 years old!
I'm going out and buying a pound of salt and giving it a go!!

I've used the salt and rice combo in the MG at times but for long periods I leave one of those condensation pots/crystals in the car during the winter. The salt trick worked for me but needs changing to keep it fresh.