Recommended: Diesel fuel additive BG244K

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The only Diesel engine fuel cleaner I recommend is BG244k - use it once a year and you'll keep your injectors clean and engine in top condition.

See the product description of BG244k & deals and offers here.

I had the full intake clean done on mine and it runs more smoothly, I've lost the lumpy intermittent idle on my 2.0 TDI A3 BKD engine and it pulls better through the rev range.

It even improved further after this first report, the engine now purrs and sounds a lot more regular. Power and economy are noticeably better as well.

I really rate this stuff as well, it cleared my fathers DPF filter and solved a sticking EGR valve on his car. It probably saved him £100's in bills.

For something so cheap BG244 is well worth a go if you are having any issues with your diesel at all. Put it all in your tank, don't try to skim and spread it over a couple of tankfulls, you need a good strong dose and someone recommended you do short journeys to give it a chance to soak into the carbon then do a brisk motorway run and spell of high RPM driving on the last bit of the tank to clear it all out.

I'll be trying the BG44 petrol stuff soon and will report back when I've done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
how much to use for lets say a full 80 Liter tank ? or should i leave some room for the additive itself ? also what do you think about engine treatment additives ? (the ones you mix with the engine oil )

It's about 500 ml so it's ok to add that to a full tank unless you've totally brimmed it. Personally I'd add this before filling up so it mixes well.

I don't think any of the engine oil additives are worth considering. Most just clog the filter with those super slipper particles that are supposed to bond to the engine.

Agreed - leave oil additives alone - end of.

The BG244 stuff is supposedly very good. Wynns Diesel Power 3 is a good cocktail. Not the same as Diesel Clean 3.

On the bg244 can instructions it says mix with up to 60 litres. Take vehicle for steady run and don't rev hard.
My dpf light was coming on each morning and 3 garages said it was faulty sensor as limp mode hadn't engaged. 1 can and light has not come on since.
There are different cleaners on their website for different parts so check what you actually want to do for correct product.

There selling that BG248 now is that a replacement for 244 or something else?

Thats a new one on me, it looks like a different formula and they are still selling both but I'll get back to you on that Xav!

From what I gather the BG248 is merely a cheaper alternative (About a fiver) to the BG244. Opinion is divided as to it's real performance, but the majority of reviewers still rate the 244 version much higher.

I've tried all sorts of stuff over my time with diesel motors. I ran a 406 2.2 HDi between 2005 and 2009), and am now using a Passat 2.0 TDi 170.

In general I think it's better to make gentle use of additives to maintain cleanliness than to dose up hard when you have a problem. As such I cannot vouch for any additive in particular but I do think that decent fuel is a starting point for any car.

What I can say is that I've not yet had an emissions problem with any car of mine. I don't like the word never, nor the word ever, they imply all of eternity: past, present and future.

So I can conclude that additives possibly do work but I have no hard evidence to support this. I can conclude that for me they have certainly done no damage. Note however that I NEVER use engine oil additives.

The interesting one for me is using part synthetic two stroke oil (JASO FC low ash) mixed in with diesel fuel. It's widely discussed on the 'net and I have been adding small doses of 2T oil to my diesel since mid summer last year, so for about 15,000 miles. By low I mean 1:200 or even lower. This certainly quietens down the noisy PD injectors in my Passat and the exhaust now emits no soot at all (this is a non DPF car).

I run it on BP Ultimate most of the time with the occasional half tank of standard diesel just for the hell of it.

I don't use supermarket fuel in any car, it's akin to adding sand to a bechamel sauce in my opinion, less than ideal

i couldnt help but notice multiple choices for Diesel engines on their Site ... im confused ... the 244k seems to be the first choice but there are more out there for the same company possibly for a different purpose , can you guys elaborate on that ?

The BG244 series is for service time I.e once, twice a year etc. There is also the AR6600 for heavy dpf cleaning then use by stuff thereafter. Talk to the manufacturer through one of the links I've put up and they'll advise on correct product to use.

The manufacturer Power Enhancer have an EBay store and multipacks and good prices.
Just serviced my Primastar van and put a can in which has smoothed out some of the hesitation under acceleration.

The only Diesel engine fuel cleaner I recommend is BG244k - use it once a year and you'll keep your injectors clean and engine in top condition.

See the product description of BG244k & deals and offers here.

I had the full intake clean done on mine and it runs more smoothly, I've lost the lumpy intermittent idle on my 2.0 TDI A3 BKD engine and it pulls better through the rev range.
Hi, i know from experience and expert advice that any fuel system cleaning additive for petrol cars does make them run smoother and more efficiently, but they also strip out essensial oil and lubrication in the process which is essensial for fuel pump, injector and valve health.... in the long run regular use, will eventually cause tappets to get very rattly and injectors to become inefficient, ruining mpg and even failing.
so i would never use such a product on a petrol engine again,
running a full tank of tesco 99 octane fuel through once in a while does the same job without using harsh degreasers that can cause the above problems,

but i have just bought my first diesel motor, and wondered if anyone knows if similar problems can occur with the equivilent diesel fuel system additives?? thanks

That is the difference between cheap additives and proper research backed ones.

All fuels contain additives anyway, these BG products add a stronger mix and all work well.

Most additives only require a tank treatment every year or so and I can't see much harm happening during this period. Do a full service and oil change just after to rinse out all the gunk, acids and accumulated contaminants if you are worried.

The BG244 worked well in my car, made a noticeable difference to the smooth running of the engine and I've had no ill effects since. I did do an oil change just after though as the oil was black.

I do try to use Shell fuel as much as possible, this works very well for me and the car runs nicely on it. VPower gets put in for spirited weekend drives and a bit of fun.

That is the difference between cheap additives and proper research backed ones.

All fuels contain additives anyway, these BG products add a stronger mix and all work well.

Most additives only require a tank treatment every year or so and I can't see much harm happening during this period. Do a full service and oil change just after to rinse out all the gunk, acids and accumulated contaminants if you are worried.

The BG244 worked well in my car, made a noticeable difference to the smooth running of the engine and I've had no ill effects since. I did do an oil change just after though as the oil was black.

I do try to use Shell fuel as much as possible, this works very well for me and the car runs nicely on it. VPower gets put in for spirited weekend drives and a bit of fun.

ok thanks for the advice mate, will pick some up then. ps shell vpower is only 97 ron, but tesco petrol stations (not esso) sell higher octane fuel that is 99 ron, so much better and cheaper than shell v power, you will notice even better throttle response over shell v power too. thats all i used to run my car on

Shell V Power Nitro+ is 99 RON, as was its predecessor, namely Shell V Power (unleaded).

Tesco's Momentum does have a 99 RON rating but it also has a lower calorific value than standard unleaded petrol.

I tried it in my BMW a few times (which doesn't benefit from high octane fuel anyway) and found that perceived performance was marginally better running on standard 95 RON Esso fuel.

I am not brave enough to chance Tesco diesel.