Recommend some decent fast road pads plz

griffindai

Torque Junkie
Car
Saab 9-3 v6 Aero
Im currently using EBC Yellow Stuff with Mtec discs, HEL lines & RBF600 fluid.

The pads now need changing and I'll be sticking fresh rbf600 fluid in same time.

Im looking for another good fast road/track pad like the yellow stuff but what else would be worth considering? I've got a few in mind but any other ideas more than welcome :)

Anymore to add to the list to look into?

EBC NDX Bluestuff
Ferodo DS2500
Ferodo DS3000
Hawk HP Plus

Also been thinking of Bluestuff up front and yellow on the rears but not sure if that's a no-no mixing pads?

Thanks Dai

I tried Greenstuff some years ago and they were ghastly. Do Saab OEM pads not meet your requirements, or are you a track user as well as a road user?

I tried Greenstuff some years ago and they were ghastly. Do Saab OEM pads not meet your requirements, or are you a track user as well as a road user?

Standard set up is fine for a standard 9-3 but I cooked mine the day after the remap. I've been using Yellowstuff for the last 6 years on all my Saabs but fancied trying something different. Just road use, never really been interested in tracking it :)

I can get yellows nice & cheap so it's an option, but Bluestuff & Hawk HP Plus only sell for the rears so I'd have to mix yellow fronts with Blues or Hawk on the rear.

I might just get yellows all round again & change the fluid for fresh rbf600.

Jurid and Textar pads are good performers but I've never had them in anything other than a 5 series so I am unsure if there are even fitments for your car. In fairness my experiment with EBC was over ten years ago so I will stand aside on judgement of their products.

Mixing front/rear is fine, the fronts do the vast majority of the braking so Blue & Yellow should be fine.

What are the blues/yellows like from cold in terms of grab and pedal progression?

Make sure you bed in thoroughly and hot. You need to get some brake pad material transferred evenly to the discs for optimal performance. Evenly is the watchword here. You don't want high spots.

Try PMing T9Man - he has an outrageously tuned Saab and is likely to be able to give you a qualified answer.

Yeah T9Mans Saab is pretty incredible to be fair!! If I could get mine half as quick I'd be happy :)

With the old compound Yellowstuff cold bite was terrible, you'd have to get these warmed up for any stopping power. I used to leave home at 3:30/4am for work and litterarly had no brakes for a good few miles! They went in the bin and replaced with Yellowstuff 'R' which was a different compound and miles better.

I've had no problems from cold but they do squeal a bit on a dry day!

I think the best would be DS3000 but they chew through discs apparently!

I'll probably go for yellow front, I can get them for around £80/90 so pretty cheap. Rears I'm still trying to decide on..

Eighty odd quid for a front set is a good price and if you like the performance then that's the route. Anything that meets of exceeds the OEM pads for the rear should be fine, the rear brakes do proportionally less work as you brake harder as there will always be a weight transfer to the front of the car. Your Saab will have Electronic Brake Force distribution so the front:rear & left:right bias will be altered in real time.

My only concern would be if you fit rear pads that grab savagely from cold when you have a set up front which need some warming up. It could lead to too much rear bias which is always bad.

OK, the ABS will unravel it ultimately but it's not ideal.

The stability control might get confused as well, these systems apply individual wheel brakes individually in an attempt to correct conflicts between driver's intention and vehicle behaviour.

It's a consideration outside of the normal frame of driving/vehicle operation but it's worth considering.

In the meantime, let's try get some input from other members ..........

Come on folks - read the bloody Technical Forum !!!!

QFM 1ARM is what I use but don't know if they are available in GB

http://qfm.com.au/page/13/Products

Thanks ill take a look.

I've found some mintex m1144 pads on the bay 274 quid for the full set!!!! I've emailed camskill to see if they can get any! The 345mm versions (Hirsh discs and Turbo X pads) are around £60 vs the 314's (v6 Aero) on ebay for £130! Hopefully they can get them in my size! Otherwise it'll be Yellowstuff again!

Never used mintex before, but they seem to be a good pad and similar to ds2500 stopping power.

I've now gone for yellow stuff front & Bluestuff NDX rear. Was supposed to be fitted last week in the service but only had the oil changed...getting booked back in next month when I'm home again :)

|B

I can't see the blue stuff making much difference on the rear by will see how they compare, I've got yellows all round at the moment.

I'll report back next month ;b/

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back