Rebalancing of Cyclinders @ 33k miles???

Alex24

Car
Mercedes s500
Two questions for ya...and I need a REAAALLLL honest answer from the experienced wrenchers.

Test drove an 06 King Ranch with 33K miles on it. I experienced an intermittent virbration (very rough vibration when backing up and incline) that I was unable to recreate during my test drive, despite how hard I tried. Seller (independent dealer) took the truck to the local Ford dealer and they were able to recreate the vibration.

The fix, the Ford tech said, was to rebalance the cyclinders.

My questions are as follows:

1) would unbalanced cylinders cause rough idling intermitantly?

2) How concerned should I be at the need to rebalance cylinders at 33K miles; how likely is this (cylinders get unbalanced) to happen again?

3) How do cylinders get unbalanced anyway.

Need honest answers, gang. I really like the truck but dont want to purchase a headache.

That sounds like a load of cr*p to me, if your getting a vibration in reverse, on an incline, I would be looking at propshaft or engine/gearbox mounts. ( could it be worn bushes on the rear suspension?)

He could mean anything really by unbalanced cylinders. I would ask what the ford solution is to get them "back into balance".

It could be the fuelling, in which case the injectors would be to blame and is easily rectified and should not happen again.

It could also be wear in one cylinder causing blow by (loss of compression) and would need a new piston and new rings - fairly major job.

Personally although I would be extra wary if it was at a bargain price and I would walk away - I just get a sense that this is going to be a real problem with other things going wrong on it. If you can get a warantee then it might be worth the risk but if not walk away. There are similar vehicles for sale without this problem.

A test drive is there to help the buyer decide if the vehicle is ok or not. You have determined that there is a fault so listen to your head and ignore your heart;)

Welcome to TorqueCars - good to have you along. Where are you from?

Thanks much, buddy. Im from Maryland. I'll ask the question regarding why it needed balancing and how it was done.

Thanks again.

i tend to agree with the content of the replys you have received , i fail to understand the term BALANCE THE CYLINDERS , i do however have a possible answer to the fault you experienced being an incorrect diff crown wheel and pinion set up / backlash . i had the same fault on a car , it would almost bounce the rear end when reverse was selected , the problem was the carrier bearings for the pinion were loose which would drive the pinion into the crown wheel causing it to lock up then bounce out . hope this assists

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back