Rear parking sensors

Chris Green

Torque Junkie
Car
SEAT Leon 2.0l TDi
The only trouble with buying a new car from what's in stock, rather than wait 12 weeks for a specific order, is that you take what extras they've got. Mine came with a Bluetooth dashboard, which works just fine and dandy.

However, I would like to fit rear parking sensors, and I see that there's even a version that doesn't involve taking a drill to the back bumper, by using a sticky metal tape inside the plastic.

However, whichever type is chosen, with or without holes, the León presents you with two other problems.

a) Is there a way to get access to the inside of the very rearmost part of the bumper? A general feel around isn't filling me with hope.

b) Likewise, despite being 'easily wired' to the reversing light supply, the light is in the tailgate. Any suggestions for tapping into the +itive wire and routing it to the boot area? I'm assuming that any old earth will do, in the boot for instance.

I had thought of fitting it all in the bottom lip of the tailgate, but this would only work if it wasn't all metal already. Ironically, it would have been OK on the C4 coupé I just got rid of with its plastic tailgate.

Last edited:
i take it ou mean the -ve wire ?
connecting the positive straight to ground will cause fuses to blow.

any metal thats connected to the common ground will do. might just be as easy taping into the earth for the reversing light as well

for the +ve have a look under the boot floor you might find a grommet tht you can put the wires through

Sorry, might be talking at crossed purposes - I should have separated the two thought processes out! I meant where can I intercept the positive feed to the reversing light bulb, bearing in mind that it's in the tail gate? Likewise, some ideas for routing the wire past the hinge and back into the boot would be welcome.The electronics gubbins could be hidden somewhere in the boot, from where it would also be easy to find an existing earth.

There's no wiring into the bumper, so for the sensor itself, it looks like a new hole and grommet (more cheese?) will be needed.

Last edited:
might be an idea to find what colour the feed for the reversing light is (from the bulb holder) and see if its on the other side of the hinge. if so you can tap it there

Last edited:
Yes, following the colour coding back from the bulb seems like the only solution - either that or try to run a parallel wire from bulb down the same route as the existing; this might be less bulky than tapping the wire with one of those 3M connectors since space inside the rubber boot near the tailgate hinge may be tight.

Last edited: