Rear diff Differential info needed pleeeeease

A

ait300

Hi 2 all….
I am looking to weld the rear diff on my newly purchased late 1993 s13 180sx (240sx) with SR20DET. (Non ABS)
There seems to be a lot if confusion about the S13 rear diffs, some being non VLSD and some having factory fitted VLSD.
I am pretty sure that my car has VLSD purely due to the way it drives and feels, plus I have lifted the rear wheels and YES they do turn together at the same time…
I have had a look underneath the car, and noticed that the output shafts had 5 bolts and not 6 which confused me even more as I was expecting it to have 6 bolts…..

I need to know….
1. Is the current diff in my car a factory diff…..??

2. If not then, which diff is it and which car is it from….??

3. Can I weld a VLSD diff and where do I make the welds….??

4. If i don’t weld my current VLSD, Can I use the internals from a S13 OPEN DIFF to weld and place them in the currant diff casing on my car, saving myself time from changing the whole diff casing as well as the shafts?

What ever info you have please keep me posted as I will be starting work on the car soon.
Thank you………

Do you really want to weld the diff on the car if you are using it on the road. You really need to take the diff apart to see how it works you basically join the two outside gears and do away with the internal ones that allow for slip.

Have you read the article on Diffs in the main sites tuning section as this should tell you a bit more about what the diff does. http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/index.php

There is a world of difference between a 1.5:1 1:1 and 2:1 diff and you really need to make sure which diff you want. For drifiting a locked diff is the best option but as I said earlier will you be using the car on the road - the tyre consumption will be a lot higher and road safety will be compromised - you don't want to start a drift on a wet roundabout in a crowded city :wink:

It does sound like you have a non standard diff but I really can't tell for sure as I am unfamiliar with the car.

Last edited:
I agree, a limited (or in this case, no) slip diff is a nightmare on the road.

You'all also confuse the ABS into doing all kinds of funny things as it cannot control the rear wheels independently with the likely result that the system will switch itself off and pin up warning lamps.

I think your insurers might be a little concerned, too.

Still, it's a good way to liven up a wet Sunday afternoon!!!

well if u do have a vlsm there should b a orage sticker on the dif that says viscous. theres no need for u to weld the vlsm, its already gonna lock up wen u drift, and welded 2way is really dangerous wen it rains, my friend did it and u will slide on pretty much every corner if u dont keep a good balance, not good if u dont have lots of experience.

oh and take out the traction control fuses if u wanna drift

id have to disagree about welded diffs being dangerous on the road.
the reaction of a welded diff under normal driving is understeer, not oversteer.
starting a drift with a welded diff is actually more difficult than with an open/ls diff,even in wet conditions.
the benefit of a welded diff is that once you have initiated the drift it is easier to control.

the only time that a welded diff would cause you problems is reverse parking/tight manouveres etc as the back end will skip about slightly as both wheels are turning at same speed. but any half competant driver can adjust to this.
OR........
an this is the big one.....
if your driving like an absolute CO*K!! then it WILL screw you over!

also mate, do NOT weld the LSD!!!!! sell it, buy an open diff and weld that, you'll even have a bit of cash left over! lol

definately, i know people who have welded diffs on their daily drivers and have never ever had a problem.
at the end of the day driving like an idiot will screw you over no matter what your driving! lol