Re: Suspension setup question.

bigmoose

Torque Junkie
Car
Maruti Zen
Is there any adverse effect for that..if we keep all the pressure on the tyres....my car has bigger tyres which projects a little out..ok..so it touches the body..when i take hard turns or when the car is loaded fully.... i already havea stiffened front suspension and a bigger shock in the back..what more can i do..your help is appreciated...

Another option is getting the arches pulled or having flared arches added. These can be subtle like on the RS Audi's and will solve the problem.

I have spend so much on the wheels and it actually looks good...this thing is if i have people in the back.. and if i take hard turns,,then the wheel touches the arches and the wheel gets damaged...... its a bit better now after i rolled up the arches.... i can not go for flared arches as it would look awkward on the car..

perhaps even harder springs or also the likes of spax make additional bumpstops but really wouldnt recommend these as they dont work very well and can also cause adverse handling conditions, (esp if driving hard)

I would say you have not thought about this before purchasing said wheels. When modding any car you must take into consideration the knock-on effect adding non standard specification parts. Dimensions must be taken and checked from the OE set-up to that of the intended set-up. Wheel offset, wheel width, caliper clearance, and arch clearance. Dropping suspension will also have an effect on the geometry, how much and are you fitting a kit with modifed struts or shocks to compensate for the amount lowered? Will you need adjustable camber arms or links? Is there enough progressive damping limits?, does it have or will it need bump stops? When lowered with said wheel and tyre combination as you have found, will it foul the arches?

Sometimes it is a case of taking a risk, but better to do some homework first and be prepared for some panel beating. On my V8 Chevette I cut out the rear arches and made some flared ones to ensure my wheel offset did not foul the arches to avoid punctures. HSR ones would have done the trick but were hard to find and also fibre glass whereas I made steel ones to I could use them to 'lean' on other cars ;)

What size are your tyres and what size are your wheels? I get the feeling that the latter is narrower than the former?

Sorry for the late reply...i actually did a lot of research on the tyres and wheels ..... I currently have a 14 inch wheel with 195/45 Hankook Ventus rubber. The OE wheel is 12 or 13 inch with 145/70 tyres. I actually wanted bigger wheels and low profile tyres for the feel good factor... I actually dont have any issues when on good roads with no bumbs.. and when I am alone... The problem starts if I take sharp corners very fast. Then the tyre touches the arches and is getting damaged:confused:

sounds like the tryes are just too wide - do they touch the inside as well when on full lock - you will see some rubbing if it has been. then seems you may need to make bigger arches for it.

It does not touch the inside..only the outside arches....not too wide..they are R14 195/45 hankook ventus... normal is 145/70 R13

Is the offset correct on the wheels?

I can't fit my finger between my tyre and rear arches yet I don't get any issues. I'm lowered as far as I can go on 17s as well. My tyres are 205/40/17.

it would not touch normally..but when we have two guys in the back and when a sharp turn is taken ..you can feel it touching...there are all kinds of marks on the tyre...some times it gets torn also...it only touches the outside....and it is not lowered..... can a better suspension help...

its already running on a stiffened suspension at the front and the suspension at the back is also better than what a normal car has..

Is the offset correct on the wheels?

I can't fit my finger between my tyre and rear arches yet I don't get any issues. I'm lowered as far as I can go on 17s as well. My tyres are 205/40/17.

What have you done with your suspension..please let me know and thanks for your help in advance..

just an idea - before i had a pug 205 with a rear torison beam, the tyres were touching the inside of the arches - replaced the bearing and everything was fine. Perhaps take a look at the bearings on yours and see if much play in them?

it would not touch normally..but when we have two guys in the back and when a sharp turn is taken ..you can feel it touching...there are all kinds of marks on the tyre...some times it gets torn also...it only touches the outside....and it is not lowered..... can a better suspension help...

its already running on a stiffened suspension at the front and the suspension at the back is also better than what a normal car has..

What do you mean by 'the suspension at the back is also better than what a normal car has'?

If the tyre is rubbing on the outside then I'd say you have the wrong rubber on... that or you have the wrong offset.

Another question... do you have rubber seals on/under the arch? I've removed mine. My arches have also been rolled.

What do you mean by 'the suspension at the back is also better than what a normal car has'?

If the tyre is rubbing on the outside then I'd say you have the wrong rubber on... that or you have the wrong offset.

Another question... do you have rubber seals on/under the arch? I've removed mine. My arches have also been rolled.

The back suspension has a shock absorber which is much stiffer..it actually comes up with an off roader....

There are no rubber seals under the arch....and the arches are rolled..

Of course, the tyre is much larger than what the car can accomodate...some two inches outside...I wanted to know whether there is any set up by which i can ensure that the tyre does not touch the arches......

The back suspension has a shock absorber which is much stiffer..it actually comes up with an off roader....

There are no rubber seals under the arch....and the arches are rolled..

Of course, the tyre is much larger than what the car can accomodate...some two inches outside...I wanted to know whether there is any set up by which i can ensure that the tyre does not touch the arches......

Get some pictures posted up mate... This will make it easier.

Thanks for all your help man..the pics are in my album...its the blue hatchback......

Thanks for all your help man..the pics are in my album...its the blue hatchback......

No probs mate. By the looks of th pictures I would say that your offset is wrong mate. Those tyres stick out a little too far. That or try some slightly thinner tyres. The car looks too high for the wheels to catch the arches so I wouldn't think it would be the suspension at all.

thanks for taking the trouble man.... I think the only option I got here is to go back to the stock wheels..i guess...or else drive slow.....hmm..:(

thanks for taking the trouble man.... I think the only option I got here is to go back to the stock wheels..i guess...or else drive slow.....hmm..:(

That's ok dude. Measure the stocks against your current rims. Have a look for a difference in anything. This might help us solve this! :D

as I have already posted ...stock is 13 inch rims and my current rims are 14 inchers....

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back