Re-mapping?

WRXASH

Wrench Pro
Car
Impreza WRX 2.0Turb
Hi everybody, i am after abit of advise please. i have a 54 plate subaru impreza WRX 2.0L Turbo - i have fitted a K&N typhoon induction kit and Full magnex exhaust including D-cat pipe.

i was thinking of getting the ECU remapped now to make it more BHP and to work better with the other modifications.

i live in leeds and am trying to find places that does remapps fairly cheap-ish but the main thing is local so its easier to get to.

was also thinking of superchip instead but heard that it could end up doing more damage to engine and wouldnt be worth it? i know you can get it to around 330BHP without doing much damage?

cheers for any advise

ive heard about superchips causing more damage than good as well, superchips would do a remap as well its really only older cars (think pre 2001) that will need chipped still

if you are looking at more modifications it way be wise to do them 1st then look at a custom remap to gain the best gain from any mods

Hi there WRXASH and welcome to TorqueCars. Superchips are a one size fits all solution and require a car to be in perfect condition and tune. This means that servicing intervals are shorter and as the car gets older it will drive worse. To some extent all remaps have this issue but I hear quite a few complaints against superchips. PGarners advice to wait till you have done all other mods is sound. I would certainly look into an uprate "Ball bearing" turbo as your next mod. I have heard of Standard engines coping with more than 330bhp so you shouldn't have a problem there. ;)

Thanks for advise, i have decated the main pipe from turbo but have one cat left from the very front on bank 1 so guna decat that this week then will be ready for my remap. ye i was looking at roller bearing turbos aswel but wasnt sure if it would add too much power for gearbox and internats to engine and is it just a matter of bolting it on or is there a special set up on the uprated ones??

Servicing isnt a problem for me as i am a mechanic myself and tend to service it quite regulary anyway.

Bearing turbos last longer and spin up much faster as there is less internal friction. If you get an OEM spec uprated turbo it is a bolt on affair. (You may even be able to source one with uprated internals that fits the standard plumbing!)

With these sorts of modifications are there any other areas i should look at aswel (example: oil pump) because i obviously want it to be relyable aswell.

and do you know any decent places to shop for parts like turbos etc appart from scoobycity or scoobyclinic.. found a website called "flat4online.co.uk" they seem to sell everything

I would change the oil pump and fuel pump (Wallbro 255lph) to be on the safe side. Depends what power you want to acheive at the end of the day. I used to have a 330bhp / 306 lbs ft UK Classic running standard internals with the below Modifications.
Agree with above though. Remap after all your mods are complete, just DO NOT give the car any excess loud pedal action.

VF24 turbo
Walbro fuel pump
K&N panel filter
Full 3" decat
Polished & ported headers
Modified oil pump
Andy Forrest remap

Car ran fine for 2 years without any issues.

I now own a MY 04 JDM WRX STI 2003 V-Limited blobeye that is running 364bhp / 379lbs ft with twin scroll turbo. Totally different and extremely rapid.

Phil.

Last edited:
get all the parts that you want then reflash eventually. once a tuner reporgrams your ecu, it is customized for the parts you have on hand. If one day you will upgrade your headers, spark plugs,etc, a retune is necessary to fully utilize your upgrade.=) i've commited this mistake

Hi WRXash,

330bhp should be no bother without having to modify any internals from what I've learned through owners and clubs.
For a local remap, check these people out www.rstuning.co.uk I don't know anything about them other than they are in Leeds.
Cheers ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back