rb26 dett N1... ambitious ??

lsvag

Wrench Pro
Car
Toyota Starlet 1.3
i am not in a financial position to do anything right now.. BUT..i was wondering.. with a budget of a billion pounds, without being ridiculous..

i saw a rb26 dett N1 block (an rb26 dett but MORE ...apparently) on the internet for around 1.5k.. am i being ambitious by considering buying one as a base and then working on it... like a project ??

how much would it end up costing to fully dress it up into an actual skyline gtr rb26 dett ??

im guessing a few aftermarket bits would be required because genuine GTR rb26 parts are probably difficult to get since its out of production and in demand by tuners ?

Unless you are going to run high power (which is 600+ for an RB26) and use it for a sustained amount of time you dont need an N1 block .

However Rb rebuilds can easily cost well into five figures at todays exchange rate so an extra £1500 is neither here nor there especially if you have had the neccessary part of your brain removed to make this seem sensible (raises hand :cheesy: )

why so expensive ? TBH I doubt a brand new M3 block is much cheaper
Nissan parts are crazy prices . I rebuilt my RB26 with forged Tomei parts which were not only better but a bit cheaper than the nissan OEM stuff

some background info.................

Rb can produce ridiculous power when tuned . Unfortunately when they do its usually on high boost which produces loads of heat which stresses all the parts especially the block and head
N1 blocks have thicker walls and this gives more meat around the head bolt area , waterways etc. where the stress is.
This is particually useful when the engine is bored out to the maximum .
- a very common mod on RB engines as the extra capacity gives earlier spool up
Consequently N1 blocks sell fairly well

But there are alternatives
The earlier engines (up to about 1989) all had better blocks and a decent seasoned one will go the job as well at least as good as a later N1 Block.

But finding one isnt easy and it has to be tested to be sure its spot on , The n1 block can be purchased new so its an easy way to be sure.

Incedently the N1 isnt the best block - a RRR block was made which is stronger still.
As these are no longer available from Nissan you will pay £3-4K if you can find one

interesting stuff..

if the N1 is stronger, doesn't that mean it will be more reliable ?

IF i was to go for this project, i dont think i'd be going too crazy on the horsepower, more low/mid range torque, more of a turbo cruiser. using the bentley continental gt engine as inspiration with maximum torque from 1600 rpm to 6100 rpm :O.. however, doesn't high torque account for the stress being put on the engine block/heads and other bits aswell as power ?

I'll let Sleeper put you on the right track. but you'll never get a twin turbo straight six to perform the same as a twin turbo W8, what is it you are looking to buy, is it just the N1 block and plan to build the engine from there or is it a fully working engine with all components and ancillaries?

Its very simple

If you want low down power then you dont want an RB 26 engine

Sorry

i assumed as the rb26 n1 is strong, reliable and is able to handle figures way out its league for a 2.6

any recommendations ?

i assumed as the rb26 n1 is strong, reliable and is able to handle figures way out its league for a 2.6

any recommendations ?

Sorry I just dont understand the above ??

Yes the N1 engine is strong , but its not just the block the engine is uprated throughout over a standard RB26
Reccomendations
You said you wanted torque from 1500rpm - RB26s wont give you this. They are high revving short stroke motors and make very high power but not at low revs,

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back