Rattling noise

Izzy

Wrench Pro
Car
Peugeot 406 2.1HDI
the HDi keeps making the noisy rattling noise..

is it that the injector is not properly working...?
or is it that pilot injection is not occurring...?

how to make the HDi sounds smoother...?
as from factory...

they are noisey, mine quietens down a lot though when it's up to temp,

I do actually like the sound of them, not sure why though, they sound alright when you give it the beans as well, ginda gruff

yea...
HDi shouldn't be making noise as conventional diesels...
they should have been lot more quieter...

also I forget to mention that we got the cylinder head out once...
Is this the cause...?

or is it that pilot injection is not occurring due to the injector nozzle being blocked or something like that..?

and any mean to clean those injectors anyway..?

WE do, as has been said, need to hear this noise. The HDi diesels are very refined. The 2.2 4 cyl and 2.7 V6 models should be silken and all but inaudible inside the car.

if pilot injection is not occurring, will this cause the engine to sound louder..?

If pilot injection is not occuring you'll have problems starting the engine. If it did run you'd get enormous clouds of sooty smoke.

I can't see how pilot injection could fail in isolation. It's the same injectors governed by the same ECU.

You can try to add the 2 stroke motoroil to the fuel. This is official suggestion from Toyota diesels.the mixture should be ca 50....70 g to 40 litres

You can try to add the 2 stroke motoroil to the fuel. This is official suggestion from Toyota diesels.the mixture should be ca 50....70 g to 40 litres

Don't do this. PSA diesels are not Toyota diesels. This kind of stunt is fine in systems with rotary or inline pumps. Common rail systems run at much much higher pressures and the extra viscosity will very likely harm the high pressure pump or the injectors. For the same reason, anyone with a D4D Toyota should avoid such things. If your car has a particle filter it will destroy that as well

Last edited:
well, it mainly depends of quality of diesel fuel, if there is too much sulphur on it there isn`t enough lubrication which can appear rattle noise and excessive wear of high pressure pump and injectors.

Last edited:
the only time i have ever heard of putting two stroke in a car is when the hungarions used 2 stroke ingines in there ladas in the early 70s...
i am with HDi fun here
dont put two stroke motor oil in your car! this may be ok in atoyota rotary engine ( again i have never heard of twostroke being advised by toyota). this is most likely to cause unnessacary and expensive damage to your engine.

Last edited:
well, no point to arguing about this content, all Toyota Landcruisers with D4D 3,0 diesel engines are still running very good and are still under warranty as well....

to danzul : by the way what model of lada have got an diesel engine from factory
maybe there are some rare modifications with Renault diesel engines...

well, no point to arguing about this content, all Toyota Landcruisers with D4D 3,0 diesel engines are still running very good and are still under warranty as well....

to danzul : by the way what model of lada have got an diesel engine from factory

No, please do continue to illustrate the point. I'm surprised to hear that Toyota will sanction it in D4D engines, but I have no reason to disbelieve you. Perhaps I'll give it a bash in the old IDI Seat 1.9 we have here.

I'd still be watchful with DPFs though, those things are extremely touchy about all kinds of stuff. Wrong colour underwear can cause a bout of severe and needless regeneration. :lol:

More sulphur is better anyways, better lube, that's why older diesels like mine suffer a bit cause they are made to work with old diesel,
I would say using 5% of some high quality biodiesel will help, vag recommend a 5% mix to help with luberication, due to the fact there's a lack of sulphur is the diesel, it does work in the hdi engines but don't use more than a 50% mix, it's just to make sure it has adequat flow though the system,

do you really think that some 2 stroke oil will work in my engine?

Also what diesel do you use? How many miles has it done? What's your driving style like? And do you service properly?

Sorry to sound patornising but if you help me I will endevour to help you chap :)

If pilot injection is not occuring you'll have problems starting the engine. If it did run you'd get enormous clouds of sooty smoke.

I can't see how pilot injection could fail in isolation. It's the same injectors governed by the same ECU.

yea HDi, but pilot injection occurs at a much lower pressure than the initial injections if am not mistaken and yeah my pug keeps on purging out massive black smoke at around 2500rpm itself....

i forgot to mention that the 3rd injector is leaking also, just where it is bolted in the cylinder head, near the housing...

I once tried it to remove with massive acceleration to heat up the engine but in vain...it was stuck, not moving an inch.. :(

maybe is this the cause...?

there are less carburant in the 3rd cylinder..?

could be a boost leak maybe

There might be one of those as well but it's unlikely to manifest as rough running or rattling with a diesel engine.

My concern is the injector leak. That really should be fixed ASAP. It's going to bugger up the spray patterns on all the injectors, remember it's a COMMON fuel rail.

Additionally, regardless of what we think of environmental propaganda it's not good to be chucking fresh diesel about the place.

It could also ultimately result in an engine fire. Diesel spilled on a hot manifold is very combustible.

i never said they were deisel i was refferring to the two stroke engne they used ...

yes..
I tried to unbolt it but i could't move it an inch..
reason so as to clean here and there....
and to cure the leak also...

but guys, there much of diesels on the engine , near the injectors..
it's completely filled there...

some friends told me that the cylinder will be needed to be taken apart in order to see how the leak is occurring..more precisely..

but, it's quite costly and time consuming to do this job..so I kept it leaking like this...
:D

and yea, there is a decline in performance...

I will get a video of how the leaking is so that you guys can have an idea...

You really should get this looked at by someone who knows the HDi diesel engines. The injection and fuel rail pressures on these engines are enormous. 1000 bar and higher is quite usual. It's enough to cut through flesh and bone.

well, at times it happens to have some fast HDi...:p
but I usually drive leisurely...
around 60-100 km/h
and the car has done around 250000 so far..
guess it very much...^^

250,000km wouldn't necessarily be the cause of the problem but mechanical things do wear with age.

YOU MUST GET THE FUEL LEAK SORTED OUT THOUGH. PLEASE. IT'S EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

I'm not being pedantic, I am genuinely concerned for your's and others' safety.

heyy it's purging out black smoke as well..
at 2000rpm itself and at higher revs theres massive black smoke...
might the leak be the cause of the problem..?

UPDATE: the cylinder head will need to be taken apart to remove the injector...

because there no way for it being removed...
it's not moving an inch...

anyone to suggest how to remove that...

hey, how its going with the rattling noise....well as I understood the problem was at the injector all and all....replaceing it could be hard work....strongly recommend professional mechanics....you can easili broke it

erm, point was to take apart the cylinder head to have a clearer idea about the leak...
it was someone working at iframac who suggested me this..

but, anyone here has a more clever idea of how to fix it...

because am aware of the work needed to take it apart.. :D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back