Rate your driving ability

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you rate your driving ability and skills in relation to the rest of the public and do you think this a realistic view?;)

ie: I'm simply the best ever and this is not a realistic view. :lol:

Actually I would only be prepared to put myself slightly above average, I'm pretty cautious generally but as I only do 8-9000 miles per year I feel that I get out of practice easily.

I drive alot of miles for work and id consider myself quite above average, judging by alot of the idiots you see on the road.

I'd put myself above average in terms of sheer bravery and trust in ESP, as apposed to anything skill related ;)

I'm a good driver me. ;)
There is alot of idiots around. And they need help thats why we have to think for them. I do however find it funny when some idiot in a fast car tries to get away from me on the lanes but all they do is make themselves look stupid cause they just can't handle the car. In a straight line yes they are faster but put them on a twisty road and it all goes to pot for them. :lol:

Not agreeing with that. ive lost count of how many boy racers around here have managed to spin their car on a straight never mind by going to hard into corners

Not agreeing with that. ive lost count of how many boy racers around here have managed to spin their car on a straight never mind by going to hard into corners

My mate put his through a wall on a straight road. He got round the corners ok but lost it on the straight.
This was the result.
2797_95330021201_595681201_2464724_7940087_n.jpg

2797_95330036201_595681201_2464726_726531_n.jpg

One totally destroyed Astra 1.8 Sri.

I was cleaning my car at a valeters a while back and some chav in a 106 Quicksilver pulled up for the car wash but noticed the long queue.

He reversed maybe 20m and pulled a 180 before leaving a nice trail of tyre smoke behind him as he floored it away.

It was a beautifully executed move and demonstrated a lot of hours on a Burger King car park practicing.

As for my driving...

It varys but my skill I would say around average but with above average knowledge of driving.

I have good days and bad days, depending on various factors.

How do you rate your driving ability and skills in relation to the rest of the public and do you think this a realistic view?;)

Actually I would only be prepared to put myself slightly above average, I'm pretty cautious generally but as I only do 8-9000 miles per year I feel that I get out of practice easily.

Compared to the morons & the just plain inconsiderate I see on a daily basis, I'd say I'm above average. I'm certainly a lot more aware than many people I've travelled with & people I've followed in the car/van.
On the down side I can be impatient & sometimes not very charitable especially if someone further down the road has just put me in bad mood. :embarrest:

Last edited:
I guess it depends on your parameters. I've been driving since 1971 (must get some sleep some time), and the only accidents in which I've been involved in, in approaching half a million miles, have been others running into me from the rear, so from an insurance company's perspective, I'm a pretty good driver. Whether I've caused any and not noticed is a matter for conjecture, and I guess we could all ponder upon that one.

After all, a life of undetected crime doesn't make you honest!

I have already posted on the anticipation 1-5 thread but....I did get a message to try to clear up a point.
In stating "anticipation of the road ahead [not verbatum!!] and my 'surround view' quote, it was noted that the statement should have said 'in time':D
In other words the responder/s meant that anticipation, observation & experience should make one fully aware of possible reactions needed now.
My overall driving skills are, I would say; different to most other roadusers (note please the distinction. Not just drivers but ALL roadusers. Pedestrians, cyclists, runners, people on horseback:D)
I might be unaware of some newer Laws in the HC and willingly admit forgetting quite a bit of it:embarrest: but...... I drive with my head and my brain NOT a lead foot and a vacant sign on my forehead:D

I'm always amazed at how a lot of drivers seem to look about a foot beyond their bonnet and that's it.

I also need to stop expecting that people will drive well and assume they're stupid. This will stop me almost running into the back of someone who's stopped for no reason at an empty roundabout where I've expected them to see it's empty beforehand and carry on round it. My Dad always said expect other drivers to do the most stupid thing possible and you'll always be prepared.

I reckon I'm OK safe and steady rather than flash I take pride in good anticipation and road reading because it keeps me out the way of idiots. I drive every day in city traffic and the number of stupid things I see done is scary. Basically I want to get around in one piece with an undamaged car but I'm not a pushover

This reminded me of one of my minor shunts.
I stopped behind a guy on a R/about, well in to the left and indicating (me!) The outer side is/was used by drivers turning right though no markings!
with cars coming from right hand road we were waiting. When a gap came I expected him to go and, on the next gap soon after I set off. (As we are aware, when this happens you are looking right for the space then as you move your head comes back to the front and to left)
This guy was still there:amazed: and I shunted him (and female passenger) into road. I indicated for him to move down the left road and stop.
When I got out I had some 'tiger stripes to mine but no damage to his.
HOWEVER.....
I said "I thought you'd gone!":confused:
HE said [do you believe this??] "I thought you were turning right":amazed::amazed::amazed:
I was annoyed at his stupidity but even more so as we has only had the car a couple of weeks:sad2:
I'm always amazed at how a lot of drivers seem to look about a foot beyond their bonnet and that's it.

I also need to stop expecting that people will drive well and assume they're stupid. This will stop me almost running into the back of someone who's stopped for no reason at an empty roundabout where I've expected them to see it's empty beforehand and carry on round it. My Dad always said expect other drivers to do the most stupid thing possible and you'll always be prepared.

I have always classed myself as a good driver, I have never had a crash, read the road well ahead and have a good knowledge of what myself and my car of that time is capable or not capable of doing, learned to drive in a old mini on grass at age of ten, rode offroad bikes from age of 6, and also love and own a disco 3.5 v8 offroad only 4x4, which is a totally different to road driving. I honestly believe in the uk your driving test should have a skidpan section to teach people how to handle a car in slippy conditions, after all our winters are only getting longer, we as a nation are having more accidents due to the weather and it only gives the insurance company,s a excuse to hike our premiems which in turn stops a lot of people driving what they want to. theirs a time and a place to put your foot down, its worked for me.

I had my driving assessed in Jan 2007 by a currently serving police class one instructor/examiner. Not briefly, but in a five hour session.

When I was a learner (OK, we're all still learning, hopefully) but when I actually had the L plates on (1987) I was taught by a retired traffic officer so perhaps gained a worthwhile and early insight into advanced observation and planning..

Last edited:
i do around 30-40000 miles per year. i would say im an average driver, i take care as much as i can. and in reply to an earlier post Yuggay, i too now expect the worst simply. think its easier and then you seem to appreciate a considerate driver. mad :)

I have to say since remapping my fwd diesel to orbital destabilising levels of torque I have developed a keen awareness of when the front wheels are about to go byebye.

id say ima pretty poor driver haha i drive to quickly for a start but compared to alot of muppets im above average im alot more cautious since i span my fiesta out in my first year and now dont believe ima driving god ;) haha soo i guess in learnin from my mistakes ive improved lol :p

I'd say above average, I do about 15k a year now, and as my company car also happens to be my pride and joy :love: I tend to concentrate much harder on the road while trying to protect it :bigsmile:

i belive that u cant talk about driving skills in every day driving...everybody will think they are abouve or average,beacouse nobody will make exident for no reason,its just a moment of lost of atention and it happens in split second,u cant really judge som1 for that...but we can speek about skills on track,witch is completly different world compared to every day driving...that would be the ultimate skill,and within it we could speek about drifting skill,shifting,cornering,and soo on.... also overtaking is a skill for its self,to choose the right moment when seconds are years...that is one of those talents ur born with :D...for my self i would say that i have good talents im born with,but a lot of work in using them...

I would like to think I was a good driver as in 27 years of driving I have never knowingly caused an accident and have been in 2 or 3 as a result of someone elses stupidity. I am by no means an angel as I suffer the 'red mist' myself if I am to be honest. However I have driven alot of miles in those 27 years, several thousand on the wrong side of the road as well ;)

I do believe my strengths are in awareness and anticipation as that is where most people go wrong, as already said some drivers barely see beyond the car infront. What makes a better driver is learning from their mistakes, or at best seeing someone else's mistakes and thinking ouch! Not doing that!

Another area that will define a good driver is in the event of an impending accident and how you react and recover from it. I had such an event 2 weeks ago when leaving an MOT station after my 2.25ton Discovery passed its test. 6 miles into my journey I had no brakes when attempting to slow down and stop whilst peaking at 60mph. Needless to say I used all of my experience to bring it to a safe halt.

I also believe those drivers who have competed in any form of motorsport have the upper hand as their driving can be seen as defensive. Again we are always looking for the late charger, the late braker and anticipate both the conditions and the roads ahead taking note of what's infront and behind some 5 or 6 cars either way. Skid pan courses are also a great way to gain confidence and control, doesn't mean we can go any faster but it means we may have more chance of avoiding something nasty.

So in 27 years of driving, racing and towing I have never had a point on my licence and have never been breathylised, so I must be doing something right! However it doesn't make me a great driver, lucky or just not been caught!