rally car tips

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hey guys turning my 106 into a dirty rally car . what mods u reckon i should do . heres my plan so far. de seat it, bucket seats, hrnesses, show cage not a roll cage too much money involved, lower a bit and arches and mudflaps.

what you think . its a 106 mk2/phase 2 98 1.4l flat arch silver

Personaly, I dont understand the point of a "show cage" or "show nitrous bottle" it just smacks of "I wish I could afford the real thing", my personal oppinion is people would laugh at you.

Is this just a Rally car look or do you want a car you can take off the road?

A diff will help with traction and cornering but its not really worth it on a 1.4 as the power delivery is not generally an issue.

A row of spots along the front bumper would look good IMO.

if its going to be used as a rally car - GET A REAL SHOW CAGE. yes it is more money but if you do end up in a large smash then, i think youll agree, it will have paid for itself.
Aluminium pipes wont last long

even if its going to be used as a road i wouldnt bother with the show cage

agreed,

there isn't a great deal of weight to be lost in a 106 i'm afraid chap but electric windows (if it's got them) air (if it's got it), rear seat, centre console (the bit around the handbrake and gear lever only not the dash) carpets sound deadening including the stuff behind the dash and under the bonnet lid, stereo need to all go, plus I would also ditch the power steering in your car, its not a hard job as it is electrical and not driven off the aux belt, but yeah go for a real cage, show cages are far worse than no cage as the aluminum will just stab you though the head, if you can't afford a real cage then sell the stuff you have got out of your car, o yeah leave the door cards on so you can still get in and out easy enough, but don't forget that any sound deadening behind them needs to go

as for other mods:

14" wheels with 185 section tyres 306 hdi front brakes, 106 gti rear beam, powerflex bushes
spoox motorport group n rear ARB eibach pro kit springs (lowers 30-40mm and lower the same as at the back don't go lower at the back than the front or you will ruin the handling) bilstien/koni sport dampers,

engine mods, piper 270 fast road cam, 106 rallye coil pack and dizzy, magnecor leads and NGK spark plugs, 106 rallye exhaust manifold, bmc cda induction and a remap

that should give you a very lively little car :)

get saving!!

lol thats alot. um basically show cage is plastic but coming out n e way lol. ive deseated the back. ive got rid of sum of the useless items like rear seat belts and other bits. basically i wud like a rally LOOK car rather than a rally car . cos it will be money wasted being that the car is dying on me already and i cant afford it otherwise i would love a rally car.

cheers for the ideas and options guys.

Well, he just wants something that looks like a rally car,

lower suspension, strip interior, S/S back box, induction kit (just for some noise as well), and get some motorsport looking alloy wheels, I would only put a cage in if it's a proper one

also how is the car dieing on you?
and don't you think that anytime spent on modifying car it's not mechanically and electrically is just a waste of time, if it got problems with it then use your money to fix those before modding,

also the auto box needs to be changed, unless you've only got any auto license

Must admit I've not seen all that many automatic rally cars. But if you want a rally car 'look' for road use then there's no need to change it.

But why? Why do you want to take what is already a small, noisy and uncomfortable car and make it even noisier and less comfortable?

well basically ive got a disability which means i can only drive auto : ( sucks, cant do the clutch hence the auto licence, basically i want a one off car, and most people where i live, just slam their cars or go boy racer look, so i thought i would be different and go rally look and ive always liked rally lol, currently ive got a bucket seat in my car (gotta get the other one lol ) got a racing wheel, need some new alloys , got mud flaps on it already , got a noisy exhaust which ive recently had a fine for cos of no silencer (sucks) and the rear seats have been taken out of it, i drew a rally design and it will cost £150 to have it put on the car ,

my car is dying cos i expect to much out of it and the radiators wrecked, head gasket i think is on its way out but im not sure, and also the transmision cover is dented and the sump cover is dented and the exhaust downpipe is dented , so yh lol

Maybe a new car is in order then dude,
thinking bout it, looked at a honda prelude 2001, 2.0l engine but insurance is gonna be about 6,000 a year lol. did a skyline r34 insurance quote for a laugh and it came back at 36,000 lmao, but hey ho time will tell,

lol yh, i wanted a 106 gti or quicksilver but i cudnt find one in auto , which annoid me , and the dimma style kit is actually not a style kit that is the dimma kit as jarrus said, but i thought if u put a dimma kit on ur car you have to extend all the wishbones and stuff, tell me if im wrong, wud love the dimma kit but dnt have £4000 to get one ,

Just out of interest, why the pre-disposition to automatic transmission? I love decent autos but wouldn't want one in a small car such as a 106 if it wasn't essential to have one.

I'm guessing that your choice is due to disability on your part or that of another driver of that car.

I'm not being snotty at all.

I'm genuinely curious to know about such things and make sure that all at Torque Cars pitch up with some sensible input both for you and anyone else, whether they choose to drive auto for the sake of it (like me - clinically lazy :-( ) or who choose to do so because it's easier for them on medical or other grounds.

My older son has profound dyspraxia and as such he's never likely to manage a manual car at any point so any input, from anyone at all, would be very welcome indeed.

Hdi read this post buddy.;)

well basically ive got a disability which means i can only drive auto : ( sucks, cant do the clutch hence the auto licence, basically i want a one off car, and most people where i live, just slam their cars or go boy racer look, so i thought i would be different and go rally look and ive always liked rally lol, currently ive got a bucket seat in my car (gotta get the other one lol ) got a racing wheel, need some new alloys , got mud flaps on it already , got a noisy exhaust which ive recently had a fine for cos of no silencer (sucks) and the rear seats have been taken out of it, i drew a rally design and it will cost £150 to have it put on the car ,

my car is dying cos i expect to much out of it and the radiators wrecked, head gasket i think is on its way out but im not sure, and also the transmision cover is dented and the sump cover is dented and the exhaust downpipe is dented , so yh lol

Just out of interest, why the pre-disposition to automatic transmission? I love decent autos but wouldn't want one in a small car such as a 106 if it wasn't essential to have one.

I'm guessing that your choice is due to disability on your part or that of another driver of that car.

I'm not being snotty at all.

I'm genuinely curious to know about such things and make sure that all at Torque Cars pitch up with some sensible input both for you and anyone else, whether they choose to drive auto for the sake of it (like me - clinically lazy :-( ) or who choose to do so because it's easier for them on medical or other grounds.

My older son has profound dyspraxia and as such he's never likely to manage a manual car at any point so any input, from anyone at all, would be very welcome indeed.

I missed that bit completely. Thanks very much.

I have a mate who's driven autos since the age of 19 subsequent to being afflicted by Polio and left with significant disability as a result. It's maybe not so much a problem now but twenty-five years ago automatic xmission was only optionally available on high end models.

This chap was well placed financially with a good job and so was able to buy and run the likes of Audi 200's.

But in this case the 2nd user market is not littered with small automatics and it's bloody difficult.

@Joshy - is there anything you can do via the Motability scheme in this regard? I don't know the fine details of the scheme but if you were to take on a 2nd user car (which would not have to be returned at the end of it's lease scheme) you could modify it to your heart's content.

well basically just to inform you , i have what they call bi lateral perthes disease , itsnot a disease , what it is , its where the ball joints on my hips arent round so they rub, and causes me alot of pain, and i tried to drive my brothers manual 206 and i culdnt take my foot off the clutch completely . i can drive semi auto flappy paddle as long as there is an automatic clutch, i looked into the mobility scheme and yes i can have most cars in a certain category but im not aloud to mod it at all, so i went with buying my own car, i had a polo which broke, and i always wanted a 106 , so i got one , but its starting to do my head in and i cant afford the mods, basically where i wud love to drive manual i push my cars to hard so it wrecks them , the polo i had for 4 and a half months before it broke, cos i ranted it all the time, mainly cos if i had a manual it wud pull how i like but cos its auto i put my foot flat and it just makes loads of noise and no go , lol. and no i dnt mind you asking at all, in a way its nice that ur asking cos it shows your cosiderate, my aim with my cars , or aim i wud like is , that i get my car , modify it ad then sell it and start again on a new car lol, but so far i cant afford to get the mods i want and also the car goes wrong before i can even do the mods, i decided to go rally look on my 106 more so cos i thought it wud be a cheaper option,. sticker it up , rally flaps, the bucket seat ive got in my car was mainly cos it wud give me less pain, cos i wudnt slide around in the seat , so technically the bucket seat stops me having as much pain from driving. im gonna get a 3 point harness soon so i dnt move at all, but i dnt wanna fork out for it really and cos ive only got one bucket seat aswel. and i think it may look silly . but hey , people take the mick people take the mick , DILLIGAF.

Why not go for a mobility car for a run around and then you could have a second car to mod and it wouldn't matter if you had to take it off the road for a while.
After all the mobility car will only cost you in fuel.

yh true , thats actually a good idea, lol , wish u didnt suggest it lol cos thats really good and im actually gonna think about doin that now lol, gonna look at dimma kits, or a similar sorta body kit that looks rally like , and im gonna try to mod it fully before i get rid of it , woop woop ,.

lol sorry your jealous loz, well theres a guy near where i live that had a dimma 106. but it looks like he dnt have it anymore, cos i was gunna ask him how he did his kit, cos i dnt wanna pay four grand for dimma to fit it on my car , i wud like to do it on my own more fun and gives me summink to do and look forward to lol. cant wait , £730 for the dimma kit on a website i found,. but i hav t get 17inch rims aswell, expensive lol. anyone got pics of there 106's with dimma kits on? wud b appreciated for u to post em on here plz, cheers. and anytips to fitting it wud be good aswell. thanks