Radical Driving Licence Changes Put To Parliament

They do it with bikes dont they? If you're a kid that passes your test now you can't just jump straight on to a 190mph GSXR1100 so I can see the point of limiting the power of a car you can drive straight away. All the other ideas are daft though.

A second test 1 year later should stop the drivers forming bad habits. I think the proposal is too harsh and complicated to start with but I applaud the effort and thought.

Restrictions on the time of day that young drivers can drive
Giving young drivers a lower alcohol limit
Restricting them from carrying young passengers
Banning motorway driving in the first year after the test
A second driving test at the end of the two-year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads.

First one - Wrong. What about kids that get a job working nights?

Second - ? Why just young drivers? Why not just set the limmit as zero? I know, I will admit that I have done it. Had 3 pints after a round of golf/rugby stopped drinking for about 2/3 hours, drank water and thought ''yeah im about at a pint now''. If it was zero then it would stop any sort of grey area.

Third - HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY TEENAGE MOTHERS AND FATHERS THERE ARE!! ''yeah babe, ill head off now with the pram and you can catch me up later in the motor''

Forth - ? soooo when will they learn then? I already know a few people to scared to drive on it. This would just make things worse.

Last - Maby. Just maby. For free.

Restrictions on the time of day that young drivers can drive
Giving young drivers a lower alcohol limit
Restricting them from carrying young passengers
Banning motorway driving in the first year after the test
A second driving test at the end of the two-year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads.

First one - Wrong. What about kids that get a job working nights?

Second - ? Why just young drivers? Why not just set the limmit as zero? I know, I will admit that I have done it. Had 3 pints after a round of golf/rugby stopped drinking for about 2/3 hours, drank water and thought ''yeah im about at a pint now''. If it was zero then it would stop any sort of grey area.

Third - HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY TEENAGE MOTHERS AND FATHERS THERE ARE!! ''yeah babe, ill head off now with the pram and you can catch me up later in the motor''

Forth - ? soooo when will they learn then? I already know a few people to scared to drive on it. This would just make things worse.

Last - Maby. Just maby. For free.
i agree with everything you just said. They need to crack down on bad drivers. Not all young drivers are bad, and not all bad drivers are young. A crack down on those driving illegally would be nice too. Instead of just giving a fine for less than the cost me insurance, for driving with no insurance. Or giving points on a licence they don't even have.

I agree with Joe tbh, it's just not even remotely practical.

The only thing I don't agree with is a zero alcohol policy, that's not practical either as you can have a trace after using mouthwash or eating some food with a bit of alcohol in it for example.

Anyone who is going to properly drink and drive (a couple of pints+) will do it regardless of whether the limit it 80mgs, 50mgs or even 0mgs IMO.

Last edited:
Restrictions on the time of day that young drivers can drive.
Agree with BBJ. May stop these kids getting a job, then what?

Giving young drivers a lower alcohol limit.
It should be minimilistic anyway. Regardless of age.

Restricting them from carrying young passengers.
It would depend on the restrictions. A car full of 17s with the driver showing off helps nobody.

Banning motorway driving in the first year after the test.
They should be taught how to use a motorway instead.

Good idea in theory, but in reality it won't work. Waiting lists were 8 weeks long when I took my test 5 years ago, they're only getting longer as it is.

The only thing I don't agree with is a zero alcohol policy, that's not practical either as you can have a trace after using mouthwash or eating some food with a bit of alcohol in it for example.

This is very true! ask two of my friends who sampled my mums Jamaican style christmas pudding
drunk.gif
:lol:

Its all part of the endless cycle of meddling, we all know the test should be tougher, and that teaching should be more in depth, it all reeks of middle England committee planning to me. every one of the "reforms" would make driving harder and more expensive.

more possibility for fines as well.

the smartbox thing could be a good idea, it would be proper frustrating if you were penalised for dodgy technology though. what if i took the car on a track, or private land, and it decided that i was speeding on a pubic road ?

They propose all this rubbish and then settle for a lesser measure. The lesser measure though is one that we would have all objected to but as it now seems to be the lesser of the evils we all accept it.

If you are a young driver you will not be happy, if it doesn't apply to you then you will approve it! Guess who the minority is here, oh yes its the young driver.

Just make 10 or 20 year retests compulsory for everyone and keep everyone up to date on driving rules and regulations.

How about if you needed to put your foot down out the way of an accident or to overtake a tractor for example i will never get one well im not far away from 25 so insurance not really a problem.

I think some changes will be good roads, for example. But driving at night and the road would be another good. Yes, it will increase the number of lessons you take, and the test will be longer, but as these young and old to learn to drive, what will not guess.

my 2p

Restrictions on the time of day that young drivers can drive.
totally agree with the other comments

Giving young drivers a lower alcohol limit.
not really going to make much of a difference

Restricting them from carrying young passengers.
agree with this one in part - would stop them showing off with mates in the car, but if youve got 2 or more cars then thats it over

Banning motorway driving in the first year after the test.
They should be taught how to use a motorway instead.
exactly

might help but how i drive with folk in the car, espically if ive got kids in the car, is different to how i would drive with others in the car.

i think 2 biggest differences should be more focused on driving conditions so longer training - ie you drive during the day, at night, in the sun, rain, hail, on ice and on motorways.