racing steering wheel/air bag

joshy1991

Torque Junkie
Car
nissan 200sx s14a
hi guys and gals, ive got a racing steering wheel in my car and wondered 1. will it pass m.o.t. and also ive purchased a 106 haynes maual and it says that the air bag light is illegal if its on , does anyone hav a step by step on how to remove the airbag light, and if i do remove the bulb will it pass m.o.t. and will it be legal???

cheers josh

How did you do it then?

I don't think a removed air bag is taken into account at the time of the MOT. I'm sure our resident MOT tester can confirm (lutonmatt).

I doubt that the MoT test will care much about the airbag's removal. Afterall, it's a roadworthiness test, that's all. Then again, seat belts are inspected but back in 1983/84 it was very fashionable to check these given the then new legislation in the UK.

Personally I think you're completely bonkers removing the stock wheel and fitting a non-SRS equipped one. You've probably disabled all the other air bags as well when you crippled the warning lights.

Peugeot's 106 is not the most durable and occupant-protective of cars in a collision anyway.

I suspect your insurers will also not be too happy if you have to claim for upper body injuries in the unfortunate event of a RTC.

basically i took most of the drivers side dash board off , to get to the light lol, it took me about 30mins to take off and 20mins to put back on , so bout an hours work wen you dont know what your doing really, and i might be bonkers but then ive always liked small steering wheels cause i feel i have more controlability of the vehicle, and my insurance company said it doesnt affect my premium changing my steering wheel,. so wah hoo cheers guys

basically i took most of the drivers side dash board off , to get to the light lol, it took me about 30mins to take off and 20mins to put back on , so bout an hours work wen you dont know what your doing really, and i might be bonkers but then ive always liked small steering wheels cause i feel i have more controlability of the vehicle, and my insurance company said it doesnt affect my premium changing my steering wheel,. so wah hoo cheers guys

Good luck then. I don't like oversize steering wheels (Mercedes Benz cars for years had ridiculously large ones) but most cars now are fine because of the across the board adoption of PAS.

But that's just me. I wouldn't remove or disable any airbags under any circumstances. Even less so since having had a nearly 60mph frontal collision last year. That car had 6 airbags.

ah rite ok, well im known for having small racing steering wheels and bore exhausts , lol cheers for the info guys

i shouldnt worry, i think it isnt a failure, simply because its an air bag light, there isnt a fault, not all cars have air bags and there not a failure, so i shouldnt worry, thats my opinion lol, anyway if it is a failure let me know :)

i shouldnt worry, i think it isnt a failure, simply because its an air bag light, there isnt a fault, not all cars have air bags and there not a failure, so i shouldnt worry, thats my opinion lol, anyway if it is a failure let me know :)

You've missed the point completely. This bloke has removed his standard steering wheel and replaced it with a 'sports' one which does not have an airbag.

There is no fault as such. He just needed to disable the warning light for the steering wheel airbag.

Personally I think he's bonkers, but there you go.

In my road car I would still keep my airbags, (yes my old car has 2!!) but if I made a weekend car with harnesses and the like then I would remove them as I would other safety systems in place like a roll cage and harnesses etc.

Quite possibly, however I think they were unusual on a car of my age and more so of it's class, it's a small family hatch back (well not by todays standards)

right it is not a failure to have an air bag light on, but your insurance company probably wont want to pay out if you havent told them about the steering wheel, other than that your pass the m.o.t with no problem

right it is not a failure to have an air bag light on, but your insurance company probably wont want to pay out if you havent told them about the steering wheel, other than that your pass the m.o.t with no problem

They HAVE to pay out in the event of a third party claim (The Road Traffic Act stipulates this) and will probably pay out anyway for damage to your car.

The problems might rear their very ugly heads if, let's say, you sustained significant upper body injuries whch might have been far less severe (or non-existent) were the air bag in place and working correctly.

They won't help you with that part of the claim and any consequential losses subsequently incurred.

Even if the RTC was completely not your fault they will not be willing to challenge the other party's insurer to pay out for a loss for which you yourself weren't covered.

plz dnt argue, lol, ive now taken the airbag light out, according to my haynes manual if the light is flashing or is on it will fail mot, so ive taken it out, and yes having a racing steering wheel may be bonkers but it also means i have more controlability of my car cos its smaller which there for means to get it to full lock takes less time, but hey , im sorted now , cheers guys,

and changing the steering wheel in my car did nothing to my insurance at all, cheers guys