'racing' away at the lights.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
if you are at traffic lights do you always get away pretty smartish or does it depend on what car is next to you?

I never dawdle while pulling away but then I never tear of like I am a getaway driver either. The car I am alongside makes no difference to how I feather the throttle from the lights.

I drive a 4wd Dual cab ute with a 3litre turbo diesel auto and use medium throttle openings and rarely hold up other motorists.I also read the traffic and use the kerbside lanes most times and generally get to my destination sooner than others in the "fast lanes"
Prefer to race at the track to get my speed fix .

Haha, I was thinking about this the other day.

I always try and see what my reaction time is. I try and pull off (at a normal speed) as soon as possible.
F1 drivers have a reaction time of .150 of a second. Any smaller and they get accused of a jump start.

Don't think I'm quite to that standard. :embarrest::D

I tend to try to get in front of vans and trucks if possible so that the view ahead is unobstructed, otherwise just filter in.

I have to say I am rather guilty of pulling away and getting in front of rather slow moving vehicles. But as OG has mentioned, only if it is safe to do so. I can't stand it when other motorists, or idiots as I like to call them try to get ahead, fail miserably and then have to filter in. Not only is it dangerous, but you just look plain stupid!

I have to say I am rather guilty of pulling away and getting in front of rather slow moving vehicles. But as OG has mentioned, only if it is safe to do so. I can't stand it when other motorists, or idiots as I like to call them try to get ahead, fail miserably and then have to filter in. Not only is it dangerous, but you just look plain stupid!

What I meant was that I would accelerate in order to overtake the van or truck so my view wouldn't be obstructed by it further up the road :)

However, I agree that only if I consider it safe to do so in the particular vehicle I am driving.

When I had the Vx-Line Astra I didn't exactly pull away quick. I waited till I changed to 2nd to floor it. :p
My old Primera. Well that just got thrashed everywhere. :lol::lol::lol:

if you are at traffic lights do you always get away pretty smartish or does it depend on what car is next to you?

I kinda have to admit I do always when in pole position. I do wait for half a sec to make sure it's save and usually dont go over the speed limit. But love the dynamic start.

Usually pull away quite smartish,sometimes i have a dabble with a sporty car if one is beside,depending on situation etc,not in town centre type of place etc.

For me, it depends on either the other car (Not often do I act on this) or how the other car is driving. If the person seems impatient and is constantly inching forward during the red light, when it turns green, I leave them for dead.

I never break the law.Couple of minute in red light wont make any difference so better to follow the rules and be law obidient.

For me, it depends on either the other car (Not often do I act on this) or how the other car is driving. If the person seems impatient and is constantly inching forward during the red light, when it turns green, I leave them for dead.
Before you do this make sure that there are no police cars behind you:embarrest::lol:

I never break the law.Couple of minute in red light wont make any difference so better to follow the rules and be law obidient.

Moving away smartish from the green light isn't breaking the law. You could have a problem, however, if you smoke the tyres and wriggle the rear end (of the car) and are spotted by the law. You could be charged with driving carelessly.

Moving away smartish from the green light isn't breaking the law. You could have a problem, however, if you smoke the tyres and wriggle the rear end (of the car) and are spotted by the law. You could be charged with driving carelessly.

They'd have to be on a hell of a mission to to apply careless driving penalty for a bit of wheelspin!!

They'd have to be on a hell of a mission to to apply careless driving penalty for a bit of wheelspin!!

I was once pulled over for a bit of wheelspin. I think the officer was on her period and on a man-hating bender. She tried to get me for street racing, which here is a felony which can result in having your license revoked.

That would surely be police discrimination. She'd have to prove you were racing, hard to do if there's no other cars about. I suppose racing the clock could qualify as admissible evidence but can you imagine her trying to prove it in a court??

Silly girl :)

It's a myth so far as I know. Police'll tell you there's no quota but no one believes it. One of my sister's old boy-toys was a police officer who "off-the-record" confirmed the existence of ticket quotas. I have no clue how reliable that info is but it's a commonly held belief.

Thing is there's nothing wrong with targets in principle provided the Police are not issuing tickets for offences which haven't been committed.

A little bit of wheelspin at takeoff from a standstill is hardly life threatening.

Believe it or not, spinning your wheels slightly is a ticketable offense here. They call it "Breaking traction" and "Failing to maintain reasonable control". I think it's all bull excrement.