Racer555 first time in - Hi.

racer555uk

Car
MG Montego Turbo
Yoh !! Been racing for a few years now, but like an adventure and something different, so I race an MG Montego was 2.0i now its a Turbo 320BHP
I need some help with the plumbing, like best place to put the 3 litre + intercooler and what sort of radiator capacity upgrade would you
recommend?

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome, it's great to have you join us. We hope you enjoy the site and the forum, and please do get stuck into the discussions, we love reading your opinions and hearing about your experiences.

Can you cut away the bumper and go with a front mount setup in front of the radiator?

Hi, yes I could do that but with the shape of the steel inner front panel and how low the car is; the intercooler would still end up in front of part of the radiator. If I try and get a long narrow intercooler below the radiator I end up with only 75mm clearance to the ground. I am now thinking of having a deep core radiator made so that I can stand an intercooler alongside it.

I wouldn't worry about a slight overlap. Is the Maestro Radiator smaller, would that swap in? I'd also add an oil cooler as well if there is not one already.

Hi ya ,.,. the Maestro is exactly the same, the original intercooler is a dumpy thing that sits at an angle to one side of the engine bay.

When I get the car back I will have to do some measurements and see whats on the market. I have been told I need a 30 litre capacity or more to deal with the current 320BHP, but it may be the case I build another 400BHP engine for next year, we will see how much racing I get in this year! I was hoping someone had already done of these and knew a way of plumbing it without me having to work it out myself. I have not played with Turbo's before so its all new to me. What I would like to find is someone to plumb it all for me then tweek it on a rolling road and give it back to me all ready to race. I don't have a workshop any more.

Many thanks for you input - with the ban on racing at the moment I have some time to be able to sort it all out. Unfortunately the engine builders are shut at the moment!

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back