?? raceland 4-1 manifold for 206 GTI ??

nonopus10

Car
206 GTI 02'
has anyone or knows of anyone who has fitted a raceland 4-1 manifold to their 2.0L 16v 206 gti??
any probs fitting it?? good increase in performance?? any other comments?? this manifold is at the budget end, so i'm wanting to check things out. :blink1:

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. Have you done any other mods? What are the claimed power gains? Is it stainless steel or cast iron?

hello there wayne. the manifold in question is stainless steel and retails for around £160-170. torque gains are said to be noticable but haven't seen anything on paper. this seems great value for money and has some good reports, however as you well know, budget items can often be lacking in build quality and slight alterations may be needed to fit it.
the mods i've done since i got the car are a custom cat back exhaust from pipewerx (crackin bit a kit) an ITG panel filter with a custom air intake i knocked up myself, denso iridium plugs and greenstuff pads on each corner. plenty of other mods to come, hopefully!!

hello there wayne. the manifold in question is stainless steel and retails for around £160-170. torque gains are said to be noticable but haven't seen anything on paper. this seems great value for money and has some good reports, however as you well know, budget items can often be lacking in build quality and slight alterations may be needed to fit it.
the mods i've done since i got the car are a custom cat back exhaust from pipewerx (crackin bit a kit) an ITG panel filter with a custom air intake i knocked up myself, denso iridium plugs and greenstuff pads on each corner. plenty of other mods to come, hopefully!!

How many reviews have you read? If I was you I'd do a bit more research on the item to make sure it is just a bolt on item. If it is just a bolt on then i'd personally go for it.

Stainless steel sounds good. I've not really seen gains over 15% with a set of new headers unless it was a turbo application.

I'd like see the manufacturer claim a power gain as this would give you a basis to return it if it wasn't true.

If you do get this then it would be worth wrapping the exhaust to reduce heat soak. http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/exhaust-wraps.php

reply to both turbonutter and waynne. (soz, not quite got the hang of these forum jobbies) I've seen a few of comments on other forums by those who have fitted this product. they seem to be happy. it is, apparently a bolt on item, so it sound good there.

your right, it is worth checking what the manufacturers claims are. will get on to that!
thanks for the link to the exhaust wrap article.

you may want check the product out. you can find it at the kam racing website under the 206/exhaust/manifold sections. look for the 206 2.0L 16v product.

Personally if you haven't really modified other areas of the engine first then I would do the other bit's first....

you only tend to change exhaust manifolds when you've modified other areas first...
exhaust manifolds only really give you substancal gains when other parts are bettered

thats what I've found...

p.s sorry for the spelling/wording....i'm an engineer not a linguist...lol

thanks jarrus! i see where you're comin from. what you have in mind??
the plan is to start with the manifold, or fast road cams, poss porting and polishing and then a remap. don't think it really matters in which order they come as long as there all done before the remapping. what you think? for me, any more than those mods, i might as well drop a bigger lump in or just buy a better car. be more cost effective you see.

thanks jarrus! i see where you're comin from. what you have in mind??
the plan is to start with the manifold, or fast road cams, poss porting and polishing and then a remap. don't think it really matters in which order they come as long as there all done before the remapping. what you think? for me, any more than those mods, i might as well drop a bigger lump in or just buy a better car. be more cost effective you see.

Sounds all good to me mate.....

the standard GTI engine (by that i mean not the GTI 180) is a better engine to start with as they respond better to mods
There's a bloke called mark ballman who made a 306 track day car with your engine in rather than the 180....cause it's better....It now has 220 hp with no forced induction he used it over the gti-6 engine because it is lighter (gti 6 engine has a cast iron block whereas the 206 gti engine is all aluminum alloy)
some other mods i would suggest are a lighten flywheel a sports cat and cat back exhaust better spark plugs and ignition leads (NGK are good) and i'd go for the K&N Apollo induction kit it's the same idea as the pipercross viper but about half the price and cotton gauze has better air flow properties than foam all though foam can hold more dirt..
so yeah get a better exhaust manifold if your going to do that...

so what are you going to do about the suspension and brakes then because i can suggest a good setup for that as well...

nice 1 jarrus! aluminium lump eh! never new that. yeah, i heard the standard gti unit responds better to mods too. i also saw on the internet a tuned 206 gti. it was much like this 306 track day weapon you described. it was called a 'longman 206' , maybe after the guy or company the prepared it. you heard of of it/them? it too produced 200+bhp. so it seems there is plenty of potential. you mentioned uprating the ignigtion leads. i looked around but so far not been able to come across any. ngk you say? this engine has a coil pack thingy, so how would you go about uprating this area? how does it work?
up to now, the denso iridium plugs, performance cat back exhaust and the ITG filter with custom air intake has yielded good results. so a s/s manifold and a lightened/balanced flywheel + a sports cat you suggested should see a nice increase in performance. as regards the flywheel, is it the norm for people to lighten/balance the flywheel they have or to buy a uprated one?
yeah, what you have in mind for the suspension and brakes? any ideas are much appreciated.
so how have you modified your motor? you have a 306 TD, right?

has anyone or knows of anyone who has fitted a raceland 4-1 manifold to their 2.0L 16v 206 gti??
any probs fitting it?? good increase in performance?? any other comments?? this manifold is at the budget end, so i'm wanting to check things out. :blink1:
Just had one fitted to my 206 going s16. Mush better low down response. Feels like it has another 15+bhp. Wasn't easy to fit and needs welding.

4-1 headers are generally recommended for a power gains in the top end of the rev band and 4-2-1 for mid range.