Race of the Ramparts.

sidthefrog

Wrench Pro
Car
VW T25 & Landrover
There is a large town not far from me called Angouleme and they have this street race that goes back to the 1930's. A few years ago it was under threat of ending due to new health & safety & euro laws etc etc. The race and tour of the vineyards is very well supported by Brits especially the classic sports car types and as such attracts a very nice mixture of machinery. I am a big fan and have been going for the last 4 years, here are a few examples of the older gear.

Angouleme2045.jpg

Angouleme2018.jpg

Angouleme2040.jpg

Angoulemeconcours028.jpg

Health & safety is slowly sucking the fun out of everything these days :(

The photo's are great, it's always a treat to see old tin being used as it was intended. :bigsmile:

Quite agree Loz. The first time I went to the race around the town I thought surely they won't really be racing in such rare and expensive machinery but boy how wrong was I :shock:.

I note also that most of these cars would get minus ncap scores! No airbags, no bumpers and no mud guards etc...

Perhaps having such "dangerous" cars made people drive more carefully?

I do think that health and safety is taken to extremes by people who are paranoid about everything. Perhaps the compensation culture is playing a part here.

soon the health and safety brigade will want to ban all forms of motorsport for being to dangerous, but you must have some way of keeping the population down during peace time :lol:

great pics though Sid thanks for sharing

Yes beautiful indeed. I am afraid I am a bit of a Jagophile. To me they have it all, power, style, competion history just pure class (the older ones of course):lol: