race fuel

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
has anyone had any use of race fuel, be it down the strip or merely put some in there car to see if they got any power gains V normal fuel.

also i found some 135 ron fuel on the net, but it was leaded :/ is there any additive or way to make it unleaded? or just get the 110 ron unleaded

has anyone had any use of race fuel, be it down the strip or merely put some in there car to see if they got any power gains V normal fuel.

also i found some 135 ron fuel on the net, but it was leaded :/ is there any additive or way to make it unleaded? or just get the 110 ron unleaded

You can get considerable power gains with racing fuels, but not just by pouring it into your tank!

A lot of the fuels are oxygen rich so an increase in fuel flow will be required. Due to the anti-knock properties of racing fuels, a lot more advance is used to release the additional power potential of the fuels. Therefore, re-mapping is required in order to take full advantage of very expensive fuel.

With regard to the the power gains possible, I can only talk about C16. This is designed to work with supercharged, turbocharged and nitrous engines up to 17:1 compression ratios. On my particular engine, power gains are in the order of 100bhp.

take a look at http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#specialty

Yup - they sure did - I think it is still available on some forecourts! Like OG says it is not a mark of power just its resistance to knock so unless your car is built for it you are just wasting your money.

Shan't be trying it in my diesel then!

Most engines now use cylinder by cylinder knock detection so there should be some gain if you use higher octane fuel. I used to stick Shell Optimax in the Primera (which had adaptive knock sensing) and that responded well to the stuff. Not sure it would benefit from much over 100 octane as I doubt the compression ratio is high enough to make best use of it.