R6 Throttle bodied MG ZR

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Hey guys,

I think I have posted in the right area....

Anyway,

As some of you know I now own a 1.4 MG ZR mk2 (2005) and they're great fun, but a little on the slow side.

A few people tend to do a T16 conversion and even a VVC conversion, and I only have seen 1 guy who owned a throttle bodied 1.4.

My future plans were to put a T16 lump in it, but then I thought thats boring, as every one does that... Why cant I stick some sort of throttle bodies on the 1.4! Brilliant idea....

So... Here's where I stand, its mainly curiosity to be honest... But I would like to know if its possible to stick Yamaha R6 throttle bodies on my MG ZR. Of course a custom inlet manifold will be needed, but I am unsure on the throttle position sensor and and a few other things. Some sound advice from any MG know-it-alls will be great!

Cheers!

i was the fella who had the throttle bodied 1.4 a few years back also on 270 cams, wasnt bad but tbh id just convert the bottom end to 1.8 and throttle bodie that so much better and gives you some much needed torque.

Seems a lot of work and expense on a car which is delivering only about 120bhp anyway. How do you plan to meet emissions rules with an unregulated fuel system?

Might be better to swap cars in the big scheme of things maybe??

i was the fella who had the throttle bodied 1.4 a few years back also on 270 cams, wasnt bad but tbh id just convert the bottom end to 1.8 and throttle bodie that so much better and gives you some much needed torque.

Ahh! I remember now! Cheers Blunty! I remember reading on the mgzr?

There is a serious lack of torque in these cars... :sad2:

Would the TF135 cams work with the 1.4 engines? I read they have a higher lift and are beneficial with the correct mods. If I upgrade to a 1.8 bottom end, doesnt that mean I'll need to change the inlet manifold for a VVC unit? And then port match for the 1.4 head?

@Hdi,

Your most probably right. converting to a better engine, or more tunable engine would be easiest and cheapest in the long run.... But wheres the challenge in that? ;)

I will more then likely go with a 1.8 VVC conversion or even the T16 turbo conversion, but reason why I ask about throttle bodied 1.4s is the sheer fact of possibility.

Last edited:
Have a read through this http://www.dvapower.com/ he may help you decide.

The 1.4 produces a miserly 105 not 120. Personally I would not waste the time and money on this as I have been up against a throttle bodied ZR160 on track in my ZS180 and was no quicker than my tuned ZS. I had heard he had spent around £10k on the engine mods and was still under 200bhp.

A nice idea but start with a better base engine as you will encounter running issues as it'll need a lot of mapping to get it to run right. It will need a custom ecu as well.

thanks for the much needed advice! I suppose a better base will also cost less to tune, even if it is a 1.8 120bhp model. looking out for a rover 220 turbo engine. simple conversion in theory.

Yes the T16 has been done to death and is a bit long in the tooth now. To get big power from it requires alot of money. A few have done this to both ZR's and ZS's going from the 4 pot k-series. There is no substitute for the noise of the KV6 ;)

220 is the best one to get if you can buy the whole car as donor, as all the bits are there for the conversion.

also if you wanna stick k series why not look into a k series turbo out of the mg zt ? 160 bhp as standard with alot more torque, i also know for a fact they are pretty easily tuned to 185-195bhp by use of aftermarket ecu, speak to drew over on mgzr or rovertech.