R56 mini engine swap

Jmsgas

Car
Mini cooper
Hi guys

the Engine in my 2009 r56 Mini Cooper 1.6 is a broken and a piece has fallen off the engine carrier. So need new engine.
but thinking it would be good to may be do an engine swap but looking to see what will fit and what I need to Carry out this engine swap

I can't recommend these guys enough...
Mighty Car Mods put a Honda Vtec in their Mini. Took several episodes and starts here

Hmm someones been spending hours on youtube! :lol: I like their videos though, they have inspired quite a few modifiers.

The turbocharged N16 is a good way to go, especially if you have the N15 already, mounts size and everything are similar. This engine was developed with the PSA group who call it a prince engine.

Sadly it's not a bolt in mod, you'd at least need custom engine mounts for those engines. When others have already done this mod you will start to find kits around, or parts that will be suitable to use in this conversion.

Gearbox and ECU usually need changing as well with an engine swap, and on some cars, the ECU will be attached to the immobiliser and door locks, so they will also need changing. It's a bit of a snowball of jobs that build up.

The end result is awesome though, it just takes quite a bit of work.