Quick question on gear oil and my abused transmission

Nichebenice

Car
93' Probe 2.0 l4
Recently discovered that my manual transmission is bone dry. Not a sealed tranny, but it's not made to have the oil drained or replaced, ever.
Takes 75W90 oil, and my current situation heavily constitutes the cheapest option.
Think i can get away with using really cheap full synthetic and either swapping to higher quality later, or even letting it ride on it till i do more transmission work?
High miles, these transmissions arent known for their durability.
Checked the web but not much in the way of help.
Really appreciate any advice!

Bone dry :eek: that doesn't sound great so I would add the correct oil and check for leaks and how it drives before anything else.

Bone dry :eek: that doesn't sound great so I would add the correct oil and check for leaks and how it drives before anything else.
Strange thing is that it's running smooth. I put some recommended additive so it's not fully dry now, and no leaks that i can spot. Just have too many bills at the moment to get the good stuff and don't want to leave it with nothing.

Anything is better than nothing but it's a false economy to chuck something cheap and quick in only to have to replace it later. Think of the cost involved if you have to replace the transmission.

When things are tight I negotiate with garages to pay a deposit and the rest at the end of the month when I get paid, or I stick it on my longest interest free credit card and pay it off when I can. One month I had to cut out coffee drinking only tap water and takeaways and just ate bread and pasta to save the money I needed to sort the car.