question on golf 2.0 gt tdi

The 140PS (138bhp) 2.0 TDi PD unit goes to 201bhp with 311 lbft.

The later common rail 2.0 TDi 140 goes to 195bhp with 328lbft.

Source: Celtic Tuning.

Celtic's figures are reliable indicators of what's available from an engine.

I very much like their work, they are experienced and thorough.

Of course, there are other tuners out there, many of whom will be equally as good but I cannot comment as I have no personal experience.

There is no reason not to remap your car, all engines have significant amounts of slack tuned into them to allow for owner neglect etc etc. Just be certain to keep the service history up and the usual caveats - no thrashing cold engines and let a hot one cool down for a couple of minutes before pulling the key.

Don't bother with switchable systems - your right foot is all you need to control the torque delivery.

Last edited:
cheers hdi fun, i have looked them up and looks good but do u know what sort of cost il be lookin at?
a friend of a friend says he can do it for cheap but not sure weather to trust them?
i know its just a matter of linkin up to laptop but still dont want to pay through the noise

cheers hdi fun, i have looked them up and looks good but do u know what sort of cost il be lookin at?
a friend of a friend says he can do it for cheap but not sure weather to trust them?
i know its just a matter of linkin up to laptop but still dont want to pay through the noise

Celtic did my 406 GTX (2.2 HDi 16 valve - common rail DW12TED4 engine) for £300. That was in April 2006. I suspect that it's likely to cost you a little more now but should still be within £350 even with today's 20% VAT rate.

The results were superb. I have driven plenty of cars and I'm not easily impressed but the remap took the 406 from being a very lively car to being a genuinely quick one.

Midrange shove was enormous - 50-70mph under four seconds, for example.

Your Golf will be better still - much lighter than a 406 and with the 3rd generation common rail fuel system it will go extremely well indeed.

Avoid the DIY route - it's plagued with problems, especially when particle filters are involved.