Query from ben

ben

Road Burner
Car
Focus 1.6 Zetec
Hi all hope all is well

as u know or may not know i am coming up to my driving test

i recently came close to buying a 1995 renault clio off a private seller, but he sold it the day before i was going to see it and probably put a deposit down.

however he has contacted me saying he now has a renault 5 for sale

ive always liked the renault 5, here are the specs of the one for sale:

• 80,000 miles
  • 1.4 petrol manual
  • fresh mot
  • just taxed
  • and only 61 miles from me
PRICE --- £350!!

what are your opinions on the renault 5, do you think there will be any reliability problems?

cheers for any input in advance,
ben

What's your budget?

Have you considered any other cars?

What about a Rover 200 or Rover 400?

Very underated cars, but they are actually fantastic value for money.

The Rover 1.4 is 103bhp, making it the most powerful 1.4 in the class.

Food for thought really.

Cheers
Dave

yeah i have spent way too much time looking at cars :D

my budget is as low as i can possibly get it

another attraction to the r5 is that being old it really helps my insurance

yeah i have spent way too much time looking at cars :D

my budget is as low as i can possibly get it

another attraction to the r5 is that being old it really helps my insurance
I see your point, we were all there once:)

Do a insurance quote on a rover 1995 onwards 214 or rover 211, you may be pleasantly surprised.

The added advantage is that there are lots of rovers in the scrappers, thus parts are relatively to get hold of. They are also very easy to work on.

Cheers
Dave

I agree with HDi. If a private seller has another car for sale then he is probably a low rent car trader that doesn't offer warrantees.

Walk away. You need to find the car. Autotrader searches will turn up loads of possibilities.

Check every car for these points... (Walk away if it fails on any of them.)
1) Service history
2) Current (long) MOT
3) Good condition inside and out
4) Clean oil leak free engine
5) Non Smokey engine on revving up
6) Good tyre tread depth

Okay thanks guys, i think i will leave this one then.

how about renault 5s in general?

my view at the mo is that they are everything i want in a car, cheap(er) insurance, simple and not bad lookin

The Rover 1.4 is 103bhp, making it the most powerful 1.4 in the class.

I take it you mean 1.4 N/A :amuse: Renault 5's have a bit of old-skool cool but they are French AND old so will probably be costing you more to fix than it would if you spent out on something decent.

I'm biased but one of the poverty spec Mk1 Punto's would do you well. If looked after they really are bullet-proof mechanically (it's just the electrics aren't the best). Cheap to buy, cheap to run and better looking than a poverty spec R5. Get yourself a nice povrty spec model, colour coded GT or Sporting bumpers cheap, GT or Sporting wheels for pennies and you're away.

agree with m/a the fiat is much better then the r5 but a bit dearer i will say now i dont like any french car they are not put together well and are alwasy breaking

but i would not stop any one buying one i have sold a few never again but we al have to start somewere and they are cheap
but remember sometimes cheap is not better sometimes it sworth spending that litle bit more for a better car

but the r5 is a cheap car getting harder for parts now cheap to run and cheap on the insurance

If you really like the car and it is suitable for you, there is no reason for not buying it. I think before buying, take a driving test probably, try to hear any strange sound while driving would help!

Waynne - disagree entirely on point 1 of your list, service histories even done by the dealer are ropey, i knew a guy working at the dealers and just slip them a couple of twenties and the book will be stamped. better top just have a thorough look over the car (get underneath it as well!) and then take it on a decent long test drive - with you driving it.
Benjanoo91: Renault 5's are great little cars, very very cheap to run and easy to fix. We had one for a while as a runabout and it was great, very versatile.

Fair point on the dealer Service History DP but it is still a good indicator but as you say not enough on its own to make a "buy" decision. ;)