QG15DE engine stalls after 20 mins running

DamionG1

Wrench Pro
Car
Nissan Sunny B15
Hi TorqueCars family. i have an issue with my QG15DE engine and would like some advice on how to rectify this. here are the symptoms listed in order
1. on a normal first startup in the morning, the car would start
2. after driving (without acceleration over 1500rpm) it would stall after 20 mins. i would try to re-crank it again immediately after but it does not turnover and run
3. after i let the car rest for 10-15 mins, i would crank again then it would start normally
4. i would be able to drive again after another 5-10mins before it stalls again, and this will happen repetitively with every 10-15 min rest period until i reach my destination
5. following from point #2 if i do accelerate over 1500rpm, my driving time is less before i stall on first start up or when it rests for an hour. its even shorter from the 10-15min rest periods in between
6. no check lights seen when it happens so i am suspecting a failing fuel pump that sits in the gas tank unless its something else (the fuel pump has never been changed since i had it about 20yrs)

Take note that the gas filter is new and the strainer is very clear and clean (and this aside from engine serviced condition, and using premium 95 octane fuel additionally)

Please if anyone can help me rectify i will appreciate it greatly

BR - DamionG1

i bought a new fuel pump and filter today. i will install it and see if it make makes a difference

Sorry for my slow reply I have been ill with Covid these last few weeks, but I'm getting back in action again.
Based on the symptoms you described, it's possible that the fuel pump is indeed failing. Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and fix the issue:

1. Check the fuel pressure: Use a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure of the fuel system. The pressure should be within the manufacturer's recommended range. If the pressure is low, it could be a sign of a failing fuel pump.
  2. Check the fuel pump relay: The fuel pump relay controls the power supply to the fuel pump. If the relay is faulty, the fuel pump may not receive power, which can cause the engine to stall. You can test the relay with a multimeter to see if it's working properly.
  3. Check the fuel pump wiring: The wiring that connects the fuel pump to the rest of the electrical system can sometimes become damaged or loose. Check the wiring for any signs of damage or wear.
  4. Replace the fuel pump: If you've checked all of the above and the issue still persists, it's likely that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. This can be a complex and time-consuming task, so it's best to have a professional mechanic do it for you.
It's worth noting that other issues, such as a faulty fuel pressure regulator or a clogged fuel injector, can also cause similar symptoms. However, based on your description, a failing fuel pump is the most likely culprit.

thanks Obi_Waynne, i hope you recover soon. I did indeed change out the fuel pump and checked the other stuff and it improved on the runtime but it didn't quite knock off the stall issues tho.......you won't believe what it was ( and i must say here this could have been overlooked by anyone), the nissans for whatever reason or the other.....earlier i mentioned that no check engine light was coming on and staying on so no reason to scan right? well my mechanic colleague faced a similar issue and he too changed off everything and still it had the stall/s so he did a scan on his last resort. Aparently the ECU did register a stored alarm not from the fuel system - it was a P0335 - which wasdue to a failed Crank sensor in that circuit. who would have thunk that! hmm lol!! well i changed both the cam and the crank sensors as well and this has since resolved the issue

:( but same day the old girl's radiator sprung a leak on the top plastic cover next to the inlet hose so on to the next fix.

OH that is interesting, glad you got a result and sorry for my slow reply. I'm sure many others will be helped by your post.

Sorry to hear about the radiator. I do find that once you touch something in an engine something else will also break.