putting wash powder in header tank?

minx23

Tuner
Car
mondeo zetec s tdci
Me again folks, ok I had the oil cooler changed in my mondeo as the garage said thats why the oil was getting into the header tank, he said it defo isnt head gasket, which was the other explanation as to why oil was getting in there! Ive flushed the header tank out twice now (took it off cleaned it through and put it back on) but its still turning black, my brother said its because of all the oil left in the pipes, radiator and everywhere else from before oil cooler was changed and he suggested putting in a cup full of washing powder to clean it throughout!!! As anyone ever done this and is it safe to do so.. as u know im a woman and only time I use washing powder is in the washer!!! I darent try it incase hes just pulling my pud :/

Last edited:
Well, washing powder is a detergent so will break down any oil deposits, same as removing oil from clothes.

However, some strong detergents, especially dishwasher ones, can eat aluminium.

This is not a recommendation, but if I was going to use a detergent, rather than a normal radiator flushing liquid, I would probably use a cheap (less suds) washing up liquid or a cheap clothes washing powder.

A lot of flushing will be required to remove all of the detergent.

So is there actually something you can buy that is for this specific job? Can you get radiator flushing liquid? And would that clear through whete else the oil as been?
Thanks for replying :)

Holts used to do a radiator flush which you could buy in Halfords. I am not sure whether it's still available.

What you need to avoid is loads and loads of froth and suds. Most automatic machine powders and liquids don't create much foam anyway (unlike the old hand washing powders, anyone remember DAZ???). But many do contain Sodium Carbonate, which will corrode aluminium.

A quick google shows that Halfords still lstocks the Holts stuff, but you might get better results consulting an independent parts store.

Good luck ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back